Looking for something, and I need some help

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
widow related questions

The Widow that i just took from my apartment a few weeks ago made an egg sac. how will i know if its fertile ?

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The Widow that i just took from my apartment a few weeks ago made an egg sac. how will i know if its fertile ?

If you have the sac in with the female she will usually cut it out of the web within 2 days if it is not fertile.

When it begins to turn a darker color I highly recommend removing the sac to a separate container... Latro slings are hard enough to separate on their own.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay...I'm very concerned! The momma spider is gone! I haven't seen her in awhile...I keep checking and the egg sac is still there and so is the male's carcas. I had to use the door the other day, and she was there before I closed the door...I just hope I didn't do anything to her...will this kill the offspring if the mom is gone permanently? For all I know, they could already be dead. She's been gone for a couple days, I just expected to see her again...by the way, the egg sac has turned darker and kinda has a yellow hue to it. What does this mean? I'm worried...I don't want the kids to die...due to me (if I did something that made mom leave)!

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Okay...I'm very concerned! The momma spider is gone! I haven't seen her in awhile...I keep checking and the egg sac is still there and so is the male's carcas. I had to use the door the other day, and she was there before I closed the door...I just hope I didn't do anything to her...will this kill the offspring if the mom is gone permanently? For all I know, they could already be dead. She's been gone for a couple days, I just expected to see her again...by the way, the egg sac has turned darker and kinda has a yellow hue to it. What does this mean? I'm worried...I don't want the kids to die...due to me (if I did something that made mom leave)!
they'll be fine w/out mom. if the eggsac is turning dark, that means the babies are growing. i would bring it in and let them hatch in your care. if you shine a bright flashlight through the sac, you should see little spider blobs.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they'll be fine w/out mom. if the eggsac is turning dark, that means the babies are growing. i would bring it in and let them hatch in your care. if you shine a bright flashlight through the sac, you should see little spider blobs.
Okay. Awsome. Now, what would I put the eggsac in? I'm considering this simply because it appears as though mom is gone. And, you make it sound a little easier than I anticipated. What do you suppose happened to the mom? I just can't figure it out. But, I am concerned.:(

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Also, next to the egg sac, about an inch or two, are two other round sperical things that are slightly smaller than the known eggsac (I saw the momma tending this one, so I know it's the eggsac)...what are those?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Okay. Awsome. Now, what would I put the eggsac in? I'm considering this simply because it appears as though mom is gone. And, you make it sound a little easier than I anticipated.
i put my eggsacs in an airtight jar. it is easy ;)

Also, next to the egg sac, about an inch or two, are two other round sperical things that are slightly smaller than the known eggsac (I saw the momma tending this one, so I know it's the eggsac)...what are those?
:? i dunno. can you take a pic?

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i put my eggsacs in an airtight jar. it is easy ;)

:? i dunno. can you take a pic?
1. You mean, just plop it into something like a baby food jar? Or something bigger like a deli cup? Should I include some moist paper toils or something?

2. Sorry, I have no clue how to get pictures onto here...best I can do is describe it. They look exactly like the known eggsac, but half the size. Both appear to be about the same size, and that appears to be half that of the known eggsac. They also look yellowy...sorta like the eggsac. But, I wouldn't think that those would be eggsacs, too...I mean, can't a spider only lay one at a time? And, wouldn't they be territorial about letting other spiders lay eggsacs? I don't know...it's a little confusing.:?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
1. You mean, just plop it into something like a baby food jar? Or something bigger like a deli cup? Should I include some moist paper toils or something?
i give it a hammock (sorta...). i pile up some grass, and lay it gently on that. if you want to save ALL of the babies, you will separate them at time of opening of sac, if you want manageable numbers, put them in a slightly bigger jar (bigger than baby food), so they can cannibalize. they don't need anything like moist paper towels or anything, no worries.

2. Sorry, I have no clue how to get pictures onto here...best I can do is describe it. They look exactly like the known eggsac, but half the size. Both appear to be about the same size, and that appears to be half that of the known eggsac. They also look yellowy...sorta like the eggsac. But, I wouldn't think that those would be eggsacs, too...I mean, can't a spider only lay one at a time? And, wouldn't they be territorial about letting other spiders lay eggsacs? I don't know...it's a little confusing.:?
you can sign up for a free photobucket, then link them to here :D. they might be eggsacs, hard to tell from a description. they can produce more than one sac at a time, i've had a female pop out 4 in a span of about 3 weeks before. :cool:

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not quite buying those containers though. Would you want something with the bottom open rather than the top? This would allow easy waste removal and feeding.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
I'm not quite buying those containers though. Would you want something with the bottom open rather than the top? This would allow easy waste removal and feeding.
definitely for the adults. definitely. but i'm talking about slings. with the intention of separating them in a couple of weeks. when i put grass in the bottom (for padding the sac), the slings make a giant web and stay at the bottom. it is very very easy to remove the top and not have little guys going everywhere. plus they generate virtually no waste and require no feeding the first few weeks. but i readily agree with you in the case of adults, yes :D

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i give it a hammock (sorta...). i pile up some grass, and lay it gently on that. if you want to save ALL of the babies, you will separate them at time of opening of sac, if you want manageable numbers, put them in a slightly bigger jar (bigger than baby food), so they can cannibalize. they don't need anything like moist paper towels or anything, no worries.

you can sign up for a free photobucket, then link them to here :D. they might be eggsacs, hard to tell from a description. they can produce more than one sac at a time, i've had a female pop out 4 in a span of about 3 weeks before. :cool:
1. Okay...can I put some subtrate in there too? Or would that be a mistake with how little they'd be? And...are you saying I have to open the sac? Okay, let me get this straight so far (I'm really sorry for my naivity regarding widows and widow babies. I have always just been more into tarantulas...): I get a big deli cup, I found one that has been used for tarantulas (it's clean, so no worries....it's 1025ml and I exchanged lids so there are no holes...is that a good size?). I put grass in there, and then put the eggsac(s) in and then let the kids eat each other untill they are big enough to eat a pinhead cricket and easily seperate...right? Or, am I still doing this wrong? LOL...I am really sorry about all this...I just want to make sure I do it right.

2. I'll probably just house all three together just in case...but I'm wondering if the other two are even fertile, because when the mother was around, I only saw her tending to the one. Well see what happens.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And...so now I need to find some sort of bottom opening container for when these grow up? What kind of container would this be? I feel so lost...

And, is there a good website or something that I could look at? That may help keep me from asking you so many questions.

Thank you so much for all your help and advice!

Last edited:

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
1. Okay...can I put some subtrate in there too? Or would that be a mistake with how little they'd be? And...are you saying I have to open the sac? Okay, let me get this straight so far (I'm really sorry for my naivity regarding widows and widow babies. I have always just been more into tarantulas...): I get a big deli cup, I found one that has been used for tarantulas (it's clean, so no worries....it's 1025ml and I exchanged lids so there are no holes...is that a good size?). I put grass in there, and then put the eggsac(s) in and then let the kids eat each other untill they are big enough to eat a pinhead cricket and easily seperate...right? Or, am I still doing this wrong? LOL...I am really sorry about all this...I just want to make sure I do it right.

2. I'll probably just house all three together just in case...but I'm wondering if the other two are even fertile, because when the mother was around, I only saw her tending to the one. Well see what happens.
And...so now I need to find some sort of bottom opening container for when these grow up? What kind of container would this be? I feel so lost...

And, is there a good website or something that I could look at? That may help keep me from asking you so many questions.

Thank you so much for all your help and advice!
haha, i love when people ask questions!!! shows they're interested and actually care!!:clap: let's see... i will answer all your questions in detail tonight, i gotta run a few errands. i will see if i can upload a few pics for you to see exactly what i mean. i will get those up tonight.

CHDB

Arachnopeon
To get one you can probably just catch one. Or you can order one from someone on arachnoboards. I wouldnt recommend spending more than $10 on one.

Basic precautions are: dont handle them, keep them in their cage, and dont over feed. Widows seem to live longer when kept thinner than full capacity.
but when you keep them in full capacity their shedding process is one hundred percent perfect with no limb broken. also how long did your widow
lived when thinner

CHDB

Arachnopeon
To get one you can probably just catch one. Or you can order one from someone on arachnoboards. I wouldnt recommend spending more than $10 on one.

Basic precautions are: dont handle them, keep them in their cage, and dont over feed. Widows seem to live longer when kept thinner than full capacity.
but when kept in full capacity their shedding process is one hundred percent
with no broken limbs. also how long did your widow lived when thinner?