Looking for large tarantula

Mustadio

Arachnopeon
I have a 4" rose hair right now. She's very sweet and docile. I would like to get another tarantula. Something bigger, but still easy to care for. T. Blondi is a bit over my head right now, can anyone reccomend a spider that gets large, but is still pretty easy to take care of? I want one that will give my P. Imperator a run for his money. :D

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Expensive, but some of the Chaco golden knees (Grammostola aureostriata) I've seen are upwards of 7-8 inches, and really bulky. Pretty docile species, in general, as well.

If the hair and not the defensiveness is what bothers you about the T. blondi, you can look into getting a King Baboon (C. crawshayi) but they are generally considered pretty defensive.

Bill

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How about.........

Acanthoscurria Geniculata...........They are big, colorful, easy to keep, their humidity needs are low, they like it dry, and they are purported to get to 8" ! And they eat like pigs.........never seen one that did not! But the down side is, they can have quite the attitude. But they are very common, and prices are fairly low.....and they grow very fast....
A great large spider to get........one of the best, I think.:)

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
what about a Brazilian salmon pink (Lasiodora Parahybana) NW and not as testy as the t.blondi. gets big! about 10 - 12 inches. I have never owned one myself but I was looking on the list of the guy I just bought off of yesterday and he was sellin 1/4" slings for $10 and I coulda bought one but i didnt know when I was at his house :/

anyways... just a thought

peace

TheDon

oh and i agree with minax... Acanthoscurria Geniculata are VERY nice! i want one of those too

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Parahybans reportedly get one or a pair of inches bigger than Geniculatas, but Genics are prettier. Still, from what I've seen of genics, they're the devil compared to parahybanas.

Dafne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would go for Acanthoscurria geniculata too... :) Great spider, easy to keep (although sometimes can be aggressive), good looking and grows very fast to huge size. I have got no feeding problems with mine... :D
And what is the most important it is one of the greatest display T's... Almost all of the time in the open waiting for the food... =D

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
what size is 'larger' to you? also, what kind of personality are you looking for? is coloring important? these things can drastically narrow down your choices, i'd prefer knowing that before i made any suggestions.

give us some more guidelines. :)

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I think I would have to go for the Acanthoscurria geniculata or a Grammastola aureostriatum. The first is the flashier of the 2 and a great display animal, but might not be one that you would want to handle, at least mine isn't one to handle. The G.aureostriatum is a bit darker chestnut overall color and with mustard knee striping, get quite large and chunky and for the most part have a great disposition for handling and winning over new T lovers. Hard choices to pick one from, so maybe getting one of each would be the easiest way

L.parahybana are a very nice looking T also and the biggest of these 3. I've found their urticating hairs to be really itchy on my skin though her personality is better than what I hear most are. These are also great display animals also...

Oooohhh, the choices to make don't ever really get easier, do they? :cool:

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Go for...

Go for Any lasiodora genus I found out that they are such good eaters and they grow so fast they are simply becoming my fav. genus after I got an L.difficilis thanks to this great site. Lasiodora genus is so cool and they reach impresive sizes at a nice fast growth rate. any ways hope you choose one from this genus and you wont be disapointed when it comes to size. have a nice day
geo

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would go with the Grammastola aureostriatum, I have one that is 6"+ and she is a sweetheart. Very doscile and easy to take care of.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Try a Lasiodora parahybana, reasonable price and a fine spider.

Andy