Looking for info on roaches from TX and HI.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know of common names, but not the Latin names, and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them.

The Texan roach is known as a "tree roach"--apparently they are huge, and can fly.

The Hawaii roach is also large, can fly, and is known as (I'm spelling this phonetically) an abermoochie.

Any ideas?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wish you had posted this about three weeks ago, I would have tried to photograph some of the roaches there.

Have you got any links referring to the pronunciation of the Hawaiian roach?

I know P. americana are there, but I don't know if that's what you're referring to...it's the largest species they have there, that I'm aware of.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The pronunciation is ABBER (like "adder," but with B's), MOOCH (like someone who is a mooch), IE (like "eeeee").

It might be a mispronunciation though--the person I heard it from isn't from Hawaii, she just visited there. It might not even be a type of roach--she's not like an entomologist or anything, lol.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmm...nothing I've heard of, but I'll ask a couple friends and see if they know anything.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are tons of species native and introduced in Hawaii. The ones I'm aware of are a myriad of Periplaneta sp, Diploptera punctata, Pycnoscelus indicus, Pycnoscelus surinamensis, and Neostylopyga rhombifolia.

Texas has Parcoblatta sp. (I know fulvescens for sure), Periplaneta americana, Periplaneta fuliginosa, MAYBE Periplaneta brunnea, Arenivaga sp., Eremoblatta sp. (MAYBE?), and Pycnoscelus surinamensis and Panchlora nivea in some areas along the coast.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pycnoscelus surinamensis and Panchlora nivea are both found in North Texas. The surinames can be found in ally ways in Dallas, and Panchlora can be found as north as the Tx and Ok border. I live inbetween Dallas and Oklahoma, and have found pretty much all of those roaches within 10 miles of my home.