looking for cocoon of giant silk moth polyphemus

aav2

Arachnopeon
I'm interested in a large cocoon made from oak leaves which I believe to be from the polyphemus moth. In particular I am interested in the construction of the cocoon including the orientation of the leaves and the adhesive materials if known with respect to my sons interest in this topic as a high school science project. I'm interested in any suggestions with respect to obtaining said cocoon for analysis or information via pubmed articles or other resources on this moth.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm interested in a large cocoon made from oak leaves which I believe to be from the polyphemus moth. In particular I am interested in the construction of the cocoon including the orientation of the leaves and the adhesive materials if known with respect to my sons interest in this topic as a high school science project. I'm interested in any suggestions with respect to obtaining said cocoon for analysis or information via pubmed articles or other resources on this moth.
I looked around a bit in the Zoology and BioOne database at my university and really all I could find were articles on parasitism, pheromone reception, and olfactory sense. There was one article on how elevated carbon dioxide levels effected the performance of the larvae but that was it. :(

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
If you want to come up to the Cleveland show next Sunday I could bring up some Promethia or Cecropia cocoons you're welcome to photograph or take notes on.