Looking for an interesting T to buy

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi all,

I want to expand my collection with a spider or two. I would like something that's either very interesting to observe and/or has spectacular looks.

Currently, I have P. cambredgii, P. metallica, A. seemani, G. aureostriatum. So Metallica is pretty good in the looks department, or rather will be when it grows up.

At this point Cyriopagopus sp. "blue" offered by Kelly Swift looks cool, although I know nothing about it. Does anybody have a specimen?

Suggestions welcome!

Spiderface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Try a versicolor. They are attractive and affordable as slings.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have had a few, all of mine took to being burrowers. They webbed up corners of their tanks, and were frequently out cruizing for food at night. They are very rarely active during the day, they would rather sit in the corner and chill till its dark out. Mine also loved roaches. The one I have now is about 7" and is very calm, has not thrown threat displays, but she is the only one like that. Their color is stunning after a molt.
I'd say go for it. They are great Ts and slings are not going to cost to an arm and the leg anymore.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You need a Bracypelma spp. Their colors are amazing and they are always visible, don't do much though.

C. sp. "blue" is a good T, I have a baby one and I love it. It's out from under it's bark everynight. They get to large sizes and stay gorgeous.

Either one of those two, or a Avicularia versicolor. Gorgeous colors as well.

One more suggestion, a Ceratogyrus spp. Spiders with horns rock. I prefer them over colorful Ts.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Btw, I don't mind losing an arm or a leg. As a PhD student, I get a big fat stipend :D. price isn't really an issue as long as it's not several hundred $.

Some Brachypelmas do looks cool. Are they active, docile sort of people? Which ones would recommend?

Same questions about Ceratogyrus.

I dunno why, but I just don't fell like getting an avic though :).

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Btw, I don't mind losing an arm or a leg. As a PhD student, I get a big fat stipend :D. price isn't really an issue as long as it's not several hundred $.

Some Brachypelmas do looks cool. Are they active, docile sort of people? Which ones would recommend?

Same questions about Ceratogyrus.

I dunno why, but I just don't fell like getting an avic though :).
Brachypelma spp. stay visible most of the time, but don't really do much. I would reccomend any of them. I would get smithi though. Every T keeper needs one. Most are docile, but can be known as severe air kickers.

Ceratogyrus spp. are a defensive species. They can be kept as burrowers if you want, cause that is what they do in nature. If you don't keep them in a burrowing setup they will web like a GBB. Did I mention they hiss? hehe.

Dr Pies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lasiodora parahybana is the one you want. Big and active and also cheap. My personal favourite.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Smithi, Emilia, Klaasi...........Vagans if you want something more reasonable in price.
I am partial to Smithi's and brachys in general but everyone knows that.:p

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi how about b - smithi - or L - parahybana - or - b - albopilosum i think a very underrated - t - ----------- phil

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What's so great about b albopilosum?
They are much calmer then most of the brachys, a bit duller in color but still grow big and eat well, always in the open. Those are all pluses in my book. Pretty easy to breed as well if you wanted to try your hand at that down the road.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would get an A. Geniculata, a B. Smithi, or a GBB. They are all awesome looking T's, and pretty easy to find.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Greenbottle blue. Fabulous color, active, prolific webbers, great eaters, not expensive, they have it all. Easy to care for as well, no worries about humidity, they like it dry. All they need is a place to live, a hide, a water dish, and crickets.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hm, good points, everyone.

Btw, what do you think of Heteroscoda maculata? These definitely look awe-inspiring. My local store has them for $45.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Heteroscorda maculata, is a good species as well, but sometime down the road I still recommend that you get a Ceratogyrus spp.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Which horned species is better? For example, i see both c. bechuanicus and c. brachycephalus for sale.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
if u want a bigg display tarantula with an attitude and looks nice i would go with a geniculata.great spiders

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ceratogyrus marshalli is the best one I believe, but sadly those aren't readily available, so i say go with Ceratogyrus bechuanicus.

Last edited: