looking for advice

devilman

Arachnopeon
hi everyone. i am new to this wonderful world of eight legged beauties. i have always been a fanatic of spiders, tarantulas, scorpions... but i have finally resolved to buy one. well, now i have two. both are Chilean Roses, and very very gentle. but i am looking to buy:
at least one Cobalt Blue (haplopelma lividum), a couple Brazilian Blacks (grammostola pulchra), at least a few Green Bottle Blues (chromatapelma cyanopubescens), and a few other species including the holy grail of my Ts, (theraphosa blondi) the Goliath Birdeater.

i have been to many sites on the web, as well as a few pet stores in my area. my questions are these:
how reliable are the dealers on the web?
is it safer to stay with local pet stores?
how expensive is the care of a large collection of Ts?

any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
thanks.

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi
Go to the online dealer reviews on this site and look what others are saying,if they say a dealer is ok then he should be ok .They are cheaper than pet shops with a greater range of species..

Pet stores are probably dearer and you dont always get what you pay for.

Its no more expensive to care for several T's than one ,you still have to buy a box of crickets and if the one dosent eat them they are wasted.
That was my excuse anyway when going from one to several.

Chid

devilman

Arachnopeon
i like the idea of an excuse to have more than one, but i dont have one. i just love the creepy like boogers

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by devilman
hi everyone. i am new to this wonderful world of eight legged beauties. i have always been a fanatic of spiders, tarantulas, scorpions... but i have finally resolved to buy one. well, now i have two. both are Chilean Roses, and very very gentle. thanks.
WAH! NO FAIR!! *lol* Why does everyone have nice, sweet Rosies?? Mine is the psycho hose beast from hell..
Peace,
Gillian

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Re: looking for advice

Originally posted by Gillian
WAH! NO FAIR!! *lol* Why does everyone have nice, sweet Rosies?? Mine is the psycho hose beast from hell..
Peace,
Gillian
Well ... mine doesn't even seem to know he has some fangs to bite ... When you try to get him on your hand he just runs away scared..

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi,
Mine will rush, if she feels anything moving in her enclosure. She has woven webbing onto everything. Her idea of a threat position is to raise one half of her body, with the fangs protruding..
Peace,
Gillian

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by devilman
i like the idea of an excuse to have more than one, but i dont have one. i just love the creepy like boogers
"Independant scientific research"

Anyhow, I think the general opinion is, the dealers online are way better than any petshop you'll find. Cheaper, better selection, and better maintained animals. I've always gone to an online dealer who lives locally to me, but I hear very few shipping horror stories at all. Check the Online dealer reviews for some great opinions.

Welcome to the addiction :)

Bill

anthony2561

Banned
Old Timer
heres a site that might help

www.reptiledepot.com this site is awesome, it has T's, lizards(I buy lizards for food for my t's;P haha lizirds!!)snakes, almost every reptile u can think of check em out, there in cali, and if u order an animal its 20$ shiping and handling:mad: i dont like that part

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Live T. Food

Originally posted by anthony2561
this site is awesome, it has T's, lizards(I buy lizards for food for my t's;P haha lizirds!!)

I don't know about most people, but I think alive tarantula food in cruel. Aside from crickets who are fu**ing brainless. Anyway, Think of yourself as a little baby mose with unopened eyes having a huge tarantula come and inject you with there fangs. Those animals can feel and are scared out of their minds! I, only once fed my rosie a pinky and the sound of high-piched squeek screams make me feel bad.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Re: Live T. Food

Originally posted by JDK
I don't know about most people, but I think alive tarantula food in cruel. Aside from crickets who are fu**ing brainless. Anyway, Think of yourself as a little baby mose with unopened eyes having a huge tarantula come and inject you with there fangs. Those animals can feel and are scared out of their minds! I, only once fed my rosie a pinky and the sound of high-piched squeek screams make me feel bad.
A lot of kids go to the reptile house I bought some of my Ts at to buy a rat and watch it get fed to the gators they have ;P Animals eat other animals...deal with it. People are worse, we kill eachother for just about any reason you can think of, and never eat them after the fact...

N.

tikbalang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
gillian:

why don't you try in reverse pshycology. me instead of getting a rosehair, i get a cobalt blue.

i'm very happy to see him go into his biting posture everytime i open her cage.

sherwin

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: Live T. Food

Originally posted by JDK
What are you talking about, man? The screams are the best part.

Anyway, I don't mind feeding mice to my arachnids. After all, they're feeder mice bred specifically for being fed to other animals. If I'm going to get upset about feeding mice to my arachnids, I might as well convert to vegetarianism.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They scream?
My ears ring so loud, I never heard a pinky scream.
Can't hear the crickets either.

Ernie

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
They scream?
My ears ring so loud, I never heard a pinky scream.

Ernie
*lol*

<<Gillian thinks that there are many arachno keeper that wish they couldn't hear them either>>

Peace,
Gillian

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
They scream?
My ears ring so load, I never heard a pinky scream.

Ernie
It's actually more of a squeal.

I remember one time I caught a gray rat snake and decided to keep it as a pet. I fed it a pinky mouse, and the snake swallowed it alive. The snake got the entire mouse in its throat, and I could still here the little bastard squealing.

I got a kick out of that.

Sure sucks for the mouse, though. What a way to die. :(

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by whoami?
It's actually more of a squeal.

I remember one time I caught a gray rat snake and decided to keep it as a pet. I fed it a pinky mouse, and the snake swallowed it alive. The snake got the entire mouse in its throat, and I could still here the little bastard squealing.

I got a kick out of that.

Sure sucks for the mouse, though. What a way to die. :(
Ya know, I think I'd get a kick out of that, too...Maybe I should buy a rat to feed to one of the bigger snakes next time I'm in that shop. Never seen a snake eat (in person, anyways).

N.