Looking for advice on how to keep the lower levels of substrate moist

mossloft

Arachnosquire
I have an O. ornatus, and he's been doing pretty good so far. However I always stress about whether or not the lower levels are too dry. When I mist, I find the water doesn't really travel down to the lower layers very well. And since they're prone to limp back, I don't want to do anything that might spur that on. Would a false bottom be a viable option? I've heard of people just pouring water in and letting the upper levels evaporate, but once again, I'm nervous about the humidity/time it takes for the water to evaporate will negatively affect my millipede. I'd really appreciate some suggestions, as I've been unable to find any other posts about this.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Put some tubes in the corner, pour water down them. It will damp the bottom first.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Mix vermiculite with whatever you are using and have your substrate layered.
Bottom layer containing vermiculite.

Hi
Don't mist..This way you just moisten the top.Pour water on the side of the enclosure.There will usually be a thin gap between substrate and the sides that will allow water to go down.You may have to do it slowly ish tho.
Regards Konstantin

mickiem

Arachnoprince
If you start with sufficiently moist substrate and mist regularly, you shouldn't have a problem. Sometimes if my house humidity gets below 20 I have to add more water. I typically move the substrate to one end and spray it super well. Not to say any other advice here won't work,; find what works for you and stick with it.

mossloft

Arachnosquire
Hi
Don't mist..This way you just moisten the top.Pour water on the side of the enclosure.There will usually be a thin gap between substrate and the sides that will allow water to go down.You may have to do it slowly ish tho.
Regards Konstantin
That's what I've been doing! However from what ive seen it usually doesn't spread very well and I'm worried about the soil being too wet after I pour it, since I know they're prone to limp back. There's actually a kind of weird color gradient in my substrate. I started off with coir and I've been experimenting with substrate, so could it be that some of the coir still in there isn't holding moisture well? It seems like one side is more moist while the other is drier, constantly. The dark spot in the first picture is a lot more contrasted in person, as well as the one in the second.

Helen008

Arachnopeon
Old topic but maybe layer leca balls? Are they safe to use? Ikea has them.