Looking For A Pet Roach..

pdm

Arachnopeon
I am looking to get a pet roach & am looking for something slow moving like the hissers. I am looking at either Blaptica dubia(Guyana orange spotted roach) or Archimandrita tesselata(peppered roach).

1) Are both of these slow moving?

2) Are there any others that are slow moving like hissers?

pdm

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dubia can be fast when they want to, and I don't have any experience with tesselata.

Have you considered Blaberus craniifer or giganteus?

The other hisser species than portentosoa?

Takumaku

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dubia roaches are a nice pet roach, but Archimandrita would make a better pet roach. Archimandrita tesselata are extremely slow moving, very calm (i.e. not skittish). Everytime I have to pick my up for maintenance, they almost never move. They would rather sit there and clean themselves than try to run like my dubia. IMHO, they make better pet roaches than hissers.

Blaberus sp. seem to be extremely skittish. IMHO they are more of a look, but don't handle pet roach.

Macropanesthia rhinoceros (rhino roaches) are great pets, but extremely expensive ($300 /pair).

Hormetica subcincta (glow spot roach) are good too, but might be a bit expensive ($35 /pair).

Goanna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Those glow spots are really nice looking.

I have colonies of G. portentosa, B. dubia, E. prosticus, and B. giganteus right now and the dubia's are definitly one of the calmer ones, hissers of course too arent bad, but they can run when they want.

This thread really makes me want to start up some colonies of A. tesselata and H. subcincta as well though :D

pdm

Arachnopeon
So are the Hormetica subcincta (glow spot roach) very slow moving also & not too skittish when picked up?

pdm

Takumaku

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hormetica subcincta are about as fast as hissers, maybe a bit slower, but not by much. This is the same pattern for their skittish behavior.