looking for a new breed

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
I found a pet store neraby with a pretty decent selection of T's at reasonable prices (www.waltersworld.net) and am wanting a relatively easy T with some color. I'm down to a few, a Avicularia geroldi (just because of the color), a C. cyanopuebescens, a A. geniculata, and a T. blondi.Oh, and I also want one with some decent size. Any suggestions from these or from something else?

AlanMM

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice sellection u have there, i have them all here, and i like them all...

T. blondi hasn't got much color, mostly kept for it's size and kinda difficult to keep... or at least more then the other 3 in your list.
Geroldi is a tree species, so u have to provide descent humidity and ventilation... very important here...
So, in that case blondi and avic need more attention in keeping them...

My "favourite" would be the gbb, awsome colors, does'nt grow that large, but great apetite and extremely fast (at least mine are...)

Also genic is easy to keep, although more humid than the gbb, and feeding for genics is simple, they eat always and everything... and grows large, up to 8". and the color is great to, white bands on knees and redisch hairs on abdomen... (but i guess u know that allready)

So if u need descent size choose the genic.

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you want some great color Id go with Brachypelma boehmei.I see them on that website for $40.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'd go for a geniculata myself (Well, I guess I'm an acanthoscurria freak).... they are big, eat like there's no tomorrow, and are very beautifull

If this is your first though, the avic might be better

goatpiper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm new to this, too, but I highly recommend the GBB...I have a GBB sling based on how much I've heard about them - how awesome it is to watch them grow, how drastically they change when they molt, and the fact that they spin web like crazy...My little one is pretty as hell.

gp

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
It's a nice selection either way, but size, color and appetite, Cant beat a A. geniculata. GBB's are nice but, not nearly as impressive as a adult geniculata, in my opinion.

Attachments

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Size...genic, defiently, plus, they're eaiser to deal with than a blondi. For color, the GBB. Mine is only about 1 inch right now but man are they cool looking.

Lorraine

Arachnopeon
Size? Color?

What about G.aureostriata? It is available with size that won't break your bank and has bright golden stripes on its legs. Also has a real sweet temperment, even in WC. And - one of the easiest to take care of.

Chris V

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have two G Aureostriata slings. Both very good eaters, very calm, and easy to deal with. I also have a GBB (VORACIOUS APPETITE) Its a 3/4 in sling that eats 3/4 in crix.

spyder7697

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if size is your thing then its got to be the blondi!
If color is what you're after then the GBB takes the cake!!!
but over all the a geniculata will be the easiest to keep.
Ski-Ya Laterz
Russ

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
Thanks to all

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions and opinions. I guess I will have to go ahead and get both the GBB and the geniculata. Thanks everyone!!!

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
"If you want some great color Id go with Brachypelma boehmei.I see them on that website for $40. "

Yea, I had that one in mind too, actually it's a toss up between that and the GBB. I'll be getting both before long I'm sure. Decisions, decisions

Oh, have a question, since both are relatively from similar habitats, do you think putting a divider and splitting a 20 gal. tank could work for these 2 species?

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
"If you want some great color Id go with Brachypelma boehmei.I see them on that website for $40. "

Yea, I had that one in mind too, actually it's a toss up between that and the GBB. I'll be getting both before long I'm sure. Decisions, decisions

Oh, have a question, since both are relatively from similar habitats, do you think putting a divider and splitting a 20 gal. tank could work for these 2 species?

Chris V

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What size T's you looking at? Thats gonna be 10 gal each. Unless your talking 7-8 in "T"'s thats a LOT OF ROOM. I have a 5 + inch Pink Zebra Beauty in a 2.5 gallon and shes fine. As for the divider, that topic is a constant debate on this forum. I personally would'nt try that unless the divider goes ALL THE WAY TO THE LID (NO space at all), and there are TWO individual lids. If you read through these threads youll hear stories of T's SOMEHOW getting from one side to the other for a nice meal. As for the B. Boehmei, I have one, shes somewhat spastic and really a finicky eater. I hear they're quite the hair kicker. Any how thats my 2 cents.

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
Hmmm, I may go with the 5 gal. tanks. I was thinking about going all out and doing something creative, but I think that going with an idea from Lasiodora (thanks by the way) I may go with shelves and some small tanks. If I coudl find some 2.5 gal aquarium tanks I guess I could even go that route. Thanks Chris V, oh and by the way are there some prety good places down there for buying T's? This place in Lubbock has a pretty good selection, but I'm sure it isn't anything to what's down there.

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
id go with the GBB and the King baboon kings get really big and are very good to look at when outta there burrow

xalbinox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haplopelma lividum (Cobalt Blue) very beautifull blue legs with a distinct desighn on its abdomen a little or alot agressive but very beautifull I enclosed a pic.

Chris V

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Actually Ive been to several pet stores looking for different T'sbut they all carry pretty much the same, G rose, Pink Toes, and B smithi. Then a couple of weeks ago I found this exotic pet shop and they have it all. Ive talked to the owners and they order from Scott Bemis (scotts tarantulas.com) and John Hoake (E-spiderworld.com). I have Twelve T's , all but three Ive ordered on line. My first was a G rose from a pet store, second was an online order from scotts tarantuls (highly recommend), third purchase was an online order from Krazy8s invertibrates, and then last Friday I made an impulse buy at that exotic shop. Finally got my smithi and my vagans. Im a "Brachyboy". As for tanks I just buy them at Petsmart or Walmart, cheaper than pet stores.
Sorry for chewin your ear so long, talk to you later....

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
Cool Chris, sounds like you have a pretty good selection. I plan on getting a chaco golden knee and a A gent. I want a GBB but I'm not wanting something that stay burrowed so much that I dn't see it. Is GBB one of those types? I'm just now getting into this, and am wanting to get a few that will show themselves. A few years ago I caught a relatively big (4-5") Texas Tan near my house. It's kinda cool being able to see tarantulas crawling everywhere, especially now that I have an interest in them. Most of the ones I usually see are solid black though, not sure what those are. I'll probably catch a few this spring.
You said something about getting your tanks from Wal-mart? I'm wanting to use aquariums just becase they line up better, where can you find some 2.5 or 5 gal. tanks, or have you been able to find any that size?

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by xalbinox
Haplopelma lividum (Cobalt Blue) very beautifull blue legs with a distinct desighn on its abdomen a little or alot agressive but very beautifull I enclosed a pic.
And hides all the time ... Great spider ... yeah...