Longest time between feedings

IndianaSlim

Arachnopeon
My Avic. Versicolor has finally eaten again....and it only took him/her 7 months! Has anyone else experienced a period that long between feedings?

Tacoman

Arachnopeon
My rosie went 4 months without it eating anything and now its chowing down like a pro!!

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Avics typically have a pretty high metabolism so they eat more often. I have heard of a G. rosea going 2 years without eating though.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i have an A. seemani that i think is in premolt for like 2 months. hasnt eaten and pretty much a rock.
not to mention looks like its a few years late for a molt... dosent even look like a seemani anymore except for the spinnerettes and underside lol
also my avic metallica molted and didnt eat for a few weeks but nothing like that long.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i only have a major feeding issue with one T of mine. my G.Aureo sling is probably the most finicky of all of my T's. she'll eat so irregularly that whenever I get her food, i usually get it at a different time versus all my other T's which i can just get crickets for in one shot at the pet store. it's ok though, she's worth the extra gas back to the pet store a week later. but to answer the question, she has gone for roughly 3 weeks without eating. the rest of them have maybe gone for 2 weeks max.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I don't think my G. pulchra juvie male has eaten in close to a year. I also had a B. emilia sling that did the same thing. Easiest spiders to keep are the ones that don't eat lol! I think I recall someone who keeps G. rosea spiderlings and doesn't feed them for a year or more at a time on purpose as an experiment.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have heard of King baboons going 8 months with no food.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Hit me if I don't remember correctly, I've said it in some other threads by now but am not totally sure anymore. But if I remember it right my mature male parahybana went with one roach during 15 months. Don't remember at what point it had the food but it was somewhere arround 12 months.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I had a rosea go around 7 months without wanting food
I thought it was premolt, but then it started eating again for about a month
now it's been about 7 weeks and shes back to not eating
I guess that's normal rosea behavior

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The last time I can remember my rosea eating was march of last year, she dive-bombed five crickets. Along with that she hasn't molted in three years and her entire intake in that time has been under one dozen crickets. This strange behavior is what got me re-amersed in the world of T's. I started looking for more info to help my rosea, stumbled across this site and here I am today. Eversince I read the Ultimate G.rosea caresheet here, I've been cycleing mine (cooler and drier in the winter, hotter and slightly wetter in the summer) so that she will molt this august, which is when she used to. ~ Rex