Locusts for T's???

thwarts

Arachnopeon
Is it ok to feed locusts to T's. I normally feed crickets and i was just wondering!!!!

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Perfectly acceptable.

I wish we had locusts (grasshoppers) over here as feeders.

thwarts

Arachnopeon
I can get hold of a couple of types of cricket and also locusts!! Thanks for clearing that up. :D

Arachno~Raver

Arachnopeon
i was using locusts on my G. rosea but the guy in the shop said they did not have the nutrients that crickets have got so he said to stick with crickets

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Only thing crickets have are parasites and nasty smells. ;)

I would reason that locusts have a lower meat to shell ratio, as I know from grasshoppers around here that they have a tougher exoskeleton than a cricket. So maybe that's what they mean.

Nick.

Arachnopeon
Locusts only eat grass so they dont have the nutrients that spiders need, its cool to feed a locust now and then for a change but dont stop with the crickets.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Locusts only eat grass so they dont have the nutrients that spiders need...
Care to back that one up?

I am not aware of any chart of essential amino acids and vitamins that tarantulas cannot synthesise from raw components, or that there is any relationship between the proper diet of a given prey item and what is actually in that prey item.

For example, we can't synthesise vitamin C, so we need to eat foods rich in vitamin C but other animals animals and plants synthesise their own Vitamin C just fine. The nutrients found in something has little to do with what something eats (assuming their proper diet) but what that something actually utilises within their own body.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are an adition to the diet, as apposed to the main constituant.
Thicker cuticle, slimmer bodies and fewer nutrients...though i cant back taht up to say that im sure the research has been done, as we all use crix or roaches for their highly nutritious innards as the man diet.

Personlally i will feed as much a variety as i can muster to my T's. I feel they live long enough to concern myself over diet through-out there lives. *pretty much all invert diet* locusts are the second main constituant, being fed a couple every month or two.
Just like with tortoise, its an on going practice to make sure to have the right diet.. they live for in excess of 1hundred year and what they eat now- tuil then can have detrimental affects and stunt pretty much every aspect of them. more than likely stuntingthere lifespan.
Ofcourse Ts live much shorter, but long enough.
I hope that makes sense.. tho it might be a lil sidetracked, lol
IMO