Loas Slings Killed by Twist Ties!?

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 21, 2007
Messages
645
I just wasn't happy with using the mesh in the top of small Dixie cups. It just seemed like the slings would often only web on the mesh itself, and if they wanted out, it was easy for them to bolt out off the top of the screen, as with any live prey also. Plus, I always seem to think I can improve on something.:wall:

So, I had the idea to try 12 Dram vials with twist ties coiled and bunched into the bottom half. this gives the slings a 3D area to web on which helps increase the chance of prey getting caught. Also, since I placed the ties at the bottom of the cup I don't have worry as much about them sitting up at the top of the cup.

I had some packaged tie material that has a little cutter that allows you to cut off the desired length (green ties), and that is what I decided to use. However, I also happened upon some precut ones left over from some trash bags (red ties), and thought I'd use up those first.

Here's the twist tie package:


Using two red ties per vial, I ended up with 20 setups. I made an additional 25 with the green ties. I fed them all FFs and went on a 4 day vacation. Here are the two setups:


When I got back from vacation, and while feeding them, I discovered 9 deaths. I am not very experienced at all with raising Latro slings, but this seemed rather high. I thought perhaps I just hadn't fed them enough.

A few days later when I fed them again, I noticed that about half of them were dead!:( Then I realized that it was only the ones with the green ties that were dead, all of the ones with the red ties were still alive!

It seems pretty obvious that the green ties killed the slings. I have them in with some juvy reds and they seem fine, but they are older and their enclosures are better ventilated I think. I guess it was VOCs? These things have been sitting around for ten years though...

Anyway, just thought I'd share this in case anyone else had a similar idea. I wish I knew what kind of plastic it is so I can avoid it in the future. I'm so glad I used some of the red ties, or I wouldn't have any alive! Plus, I might not have figured out what went wrong.
 

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
1,381
Most of the time the mesh alone has worked fine for me, but it isnt as good for every specie...and sometimes for some reason some individuals..for no apparent reason.
Adding a bit of stick or wire has helped. I find that with the Laos slings if fed large chunks of crix or whatnot, those chunks quickly dry out and become the hides and structure that the slings need.
Hesps, macs and geos seem to be the most apt to dash for freedom, but usually only when thirsty and/or hungry.

Yep, gotta watch out for plastics and other chemically man made materials. A lot of that stuff continues to vent off nasty gases which can poison the slow moving air within a capped container. Obviously you figured that crap out the hard way.
Years ago I found an old wooden desk drawer... flat and many different size compartments for things like pens, paper, tacs, business cards, etc. I cut holes connecting the partitions, glued in some more walls and stucture and fit a plexy top over the whole thing so it could hang on the wall and I could watch the action. I used various glues and some paint. I let it all dry for about a week and then I gathered up a bunch of different local spider species and put them into the silly thing. The goal was the show... which spider(s) would be able to win a spot and settle in...and which would be able to hold their ground and live amongst the rest. Cool idea I thought. :rolleyes: Next day after adding the spiders, I took a looksy and ALL the spiders were curled up dead! Cant remember which glue I decided was probably the killer, but at least one substance gassed the spiders within a half days time!
Man uses a lot of toxic stuff!
 

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 21, 2007
Messages
645
Yeah, I should realize that if something is done a certain way by a lot of people with experience, it's probably for a reason. Oh well, that's just my nature...

I do have to say that I'm really liking it so far. Next time I'll use plain wire!
 

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
1,381
Yeah, I should realize that if something is done a certain way by a lot of people with experience, it's probably for a reason. Oh well, that's just my nature...

I do have to say that I'm really liking it so far. Next time I'll use plain wire!
Ive used those big purple/blue paper ties you get from the grocery store. Nice thing about the ties vs plain wire, is the ties have some thickness (a Z axis so to speak) which allows for thicker, stronger webbing. Also...better for the species that really need structure for a hide.
Most of the guys here that helped me get started with different widows used/use a dried curled leaf. I kept my first set of variolus slings in the small cups they were sent to me in ...all the way to sub-adulthood ...some til full grown. They embedded beautifully ..denning up the leaf. Its actually amazing how elaborate the web structure can become even within such a small container.
 

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
659
I would almost bet it was some fumes coming from the plastic of the twist ties, as most I've had in those spools smelled pretty funky even for me.

Sorry for your losses. =/
 
Top