Live Terrarium Plants

kadupul

Arachnosquire
Hi!

I love my bio-active terrariums and I'm always looking for new plants to try. It would also be nice to know what to avoid. I'd like to hear about the following:
Less mainstream yet successful plants? Underrated classics? Plants that you wouldn't even wish on you worst enemies? Please share all! :D

I'm currently growing these guys:
Fittonia
Episcia
Drynaria
Selaginella
Davallia
Cryptanthus
Platycerium
Asplenium
Tillandsia
Saxifraga

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
Pothos is good, I've grown it in betta bowls and pacman frog terrariums, they can adapt to almost every environment.

kadupul

Arachnosquire
Cryptanthus and tillandsia are both in the family bromeliaceae. Do you have any brom species in mind? I really like the way the jewel orchids look, do you have any insight on their care or have you had any personal experience with them?

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
Awesome! Are you keeping a jumping spider in there? I really like epsicia plants.

I have kept both, they grow well in humid environments with decent amount of light. Look at JoshsFrogs for bromeliads. Theres some really small sp. that could probably fit in an 8x8x12”. Jewel orchids are also really easy to propagate, you just have to cut it, root in water and replant before too long. The already rooted half will pop out a new growth point or maybe 2 if your lucky.

kadupul

Arachnosquire
Thank you! There had been a jumper in it, but unfortunately she has passed away. When her daughter is old enough she'll take up residence in it. I've got a bigger viv, but it's currently in a battle against thrips so I didn't post pics. Would you say that jewel orchids are similar to tradescantia?

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
Thank you! There had been a jumper in it, but unfortunately she has passed away. When her daughter is old enough she'll take up residence in it. I've got a bigger viv, but it's currently in a battle against thrips so I didn't post pics. Would you say that jewel orchids are similar to tradescantia?
No, they take a lot longer to grow and are a little more sensitive

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Hi!

I love my bio-active terrariums and I'm always looking for new plants to try. It would also be nice to know what to avoid. I'd like to hear about the following:
Less mainstream yet successful plants? Underrated classics? Plants that you wouldn't even wish on you worst enemies? Please share all! :D

I'm currently growing these guys:
Fittonia
Episcia
Drynaria
Selaginella
Davallia
Cryptanthus
Platycerium
Asplenium
Tillandsia
Saxifraga
Hello! My background is in horticulture, so what I would say is that recommendations kinda depends on the type of environment your setting up and designing, level of moisture, soil type used, Are you putting live animals in them? What level of lighting will it receive? Level of ventilation? Etc. lots of factors that go in to selecting plants for a particular build. I usually build off of a plant type theme like an orchid build I’m about to start, or an epiphytic fern build, or an in situ build, bromeliad, moss, etc.

kadupul

Arachnosquire
Hello! My background is in horticulture, so what I would say is that recommendations kinda depends on the type of environment your setting up and designing, level of moisture, soil type used, Are you putting live animals in them? What level of lighting will it receive? Level of ventilation? Etc. lots of factors that go in to selecting plants for a particular build. I usually build off of a plant type theme like an orchid build I’m about to start, or an epiphytic fern build, or an in situ build, bromeliad, moss, etc.
I just meant any plants that do well in the terrarium setting. If you'd like recommend some plants for a more specific sort of terrarium, my spider's tank has a drainage layer, sphag based soil with hardwood chips mixed in, isopod frass, screened top, and I usually let a little bit of water sit in the drainage layer. I'm not sure what the best way is to measure humidity and lighting levels, but it does use a plant specific Fluval hood. My tank's theme has somehow turned into neon colored plants, but I like more natural colors too.

regalpaws

Arachnoknight
I keep lots of different pothos; cebu blues, scindapsus truebii, scindapsus exotica. Cebu blues do super well for me in my jumper enclosures and they really vine out. Recently I started using cebu blues with Epipremnum aureum or the neon pothos and it makes for a super neat varying contrast in colors!! I have a small Monstera adansonii clipping as well and even it is doing great in a little 8"x5"

Last edited:

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
When you do them and if convenient, I would love to see your builds. Ferns and mosses look so amazing in vivaria, cant get enough of them :D

MillipedeFan

Arachnosquire
I use ivy, begonia and I am experimenting with white stone crop. Chinese money plants do well too
EDIT: Persian shields do well too, but you need to give them the right amount of light and shade to get the best colours