Live Plants and Hissers?

Ben Do

Arachnosquire
I wanted to upgrade my hissers and I recently acquired a bunch of plants to build my tree frog's vivarium and was wondering if I can use some of them. They are low maintenance, low light plants (Pothos, fittonia, wandering jew, etc.) that I figure might help with the humidity/make their enclosure look nicer. I read some people say theirs will devour them and others saying they have no issues with entire colonies and their plants but these discussions seem to be from several years ago so was wondering if people have any newer experiences.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
I would never go bioactive with Hissers. Unless you can provide some Malagasy native plants it doesn't make sense. Humidity can be maintained by proper substrate and increased misting. Adding plants into the mix can affect the colony in unknown ways, and those can be highly variable depending on the plant. Safer to do either a simple substrate or paper towel\egg carton breeder setup. You can add sphagnum moss if you want to be really fancy humidity wise.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
You will eventually run into issues. My hissers will literally pull apart the mango I put in to get to the soft lima bean seed inside. Yup mangos have a soft lima bean inside that husk. A few hissers and you should be ok. Any more and you will be wasting money on edible decorations.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I tried fake plants with my hissers. Unfortunately, the plants died because I didn’t forget to water them.