little spides molting?

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hey people, whats up! Quick question for you. I have a dual beta,(fish) setup and the contents include an A. seemani, and a B. albopilosum sling, dont worry, its divided in two. The A. seemani is about 3/4" LS and the B. albo.. is about 7/8" to 1" LS. the seemani has a large black spot on its abdoman which is shiny and tight lookin, possible molt soon??? My question is, how do I care for my little babies if they happen to molt in the depths of thier burrows? They have made some quite interesting housing setups. I just dont want to be helpless if they need a little help.

concerned arachno"dad"
dale

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
IMHO, I think to just live them alone and they will do their thing, either than that, the black spot may mean it is coming up for a moult, and if it has stop eating regularly its moulting time. So i would, if i were you that is, leave them alone. They made a burrow because most likely they want their privacy before moulting, my t's always either burrow or web like crazy before an upcoming moult. Hope this helps, if not hope someone else can!

James

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanx for the input, but I know not to bother them on a molt. They have had their burrows for some time now and I dont think it is molt induced. WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS...is there any risk for them if they molt in their burrows, and if so what are they. I have never had any slings of a burrowing species so I dont want them to die or injure themselves.
thanx
dale

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
I am a relative newbie but most of my s'lings are burrowers and they have all molted many times in their burrows. They usually cover themselves up just before the molt (when they no longer feel like eating and need privacy) and then after the molt they expel the old molt from the burrow.

I was able to observe one of these events througn the side of the enclosure and it's actually scary to watch as they seem to be all twisted up and tangled in a small space (compared to a above ground on their back molt) but it all seems to work out.

Hope this helps.

J

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My curlyhair sling molted in his burrow i could see him sort of from the side, it looked weird, but it works, i think you should leave them, they should be fine. Burrows always have a pretty high humidity, atleast mine do, so the molt should be fine. Hope this helps.
Mike

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanx invadermike. i do keep thier enclosure misted bout twice a week, so hopefully humidity wont be a problem, i will let them be and wait for a surprise. thanx

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Originally posted by SpiderFood
Thanx for the input, but I know not to bother them on a molt. They have had their burrows for some time now and I dont think it is molt induced. WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS...is there any risk for them if they molt in their burrows, and if so what are they. I have never had any slings of a burrowing species so I dont want them to die or injure themselves.
thanx
dale
Yeah, my H.gigas had made a great burrow for moulting time! But the risks are pretty slim IMO. They can probably have problems letting all the skin get offf them, they might get stuck into their moulting process. I really wouldnt worry as long as the humidity and temp. are alright, btw-what tarantulas do you have? Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes!

James

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
no worries, they do it in the wild with no problems.I keep several sp of Haplopelmas ,and they are very deep burrowers.The only time I see them is when they get really hungry they wait at the very top with there legs out. I 'm sure they all have molted severall times and have not had any problems. I would say the most important thing is to keep the humidity up and do not offer them food.a cricket can do in a molting sling with no problems.
Doug

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanx guys, currently I have
1 A. seemani
1 H. lividum
1 B. smithi
1 B. albopilosum
1 G. rosea
2 A. avicularia
1 A. urticans