Lithobius forficatus

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This thread builds on the "Communilaliy" thread posted earlier.
What I am wondering is can Lithobius forficatus (Stone Centipdedes) live together? I've got 5 that I collected from a woodpile I was tearing apart, and have been keeping them seperate for a couple months now. All are doing fine and are taking small (.25 inch) crickets. I usually feed twice a week, with 2 or 3 at a time.
Anyway, since they were all caught in the same place, I was wondering if I can set up a small aquarium (2.5 gallon) and keep them together.
Also, if I can keep them together, can they climb the silicon seals in the corners of the aquarium? I don't want to lose any if I do keep them in a tank.
Thanks!
Ralph

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
ralf,

When I was a kid, I'd catch and keep nearly 50 of these critters every summer and keep them in a 10-gal aquarium... I kept them very well fed (I would catch and kill "June Bugs" and throw them in there by the dozens) so I don't believe they cannibalized. They are very good at getting up the silicone, though...however, simply pulling the silicone off for the last three inches before the lid should be fine...

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Quite frankly, I've never seen one bigger than 2"... and it may not have even been quite that long. More common are adults in the 1.25"-1.75" range...