2. Usumbara orange baboon - Pterinochilus Spinifer
3. Fringed ornamental - Poecilotheria ornata
4. Suntiger - Psalmopoeus irminia
5. Ornate Ornamental - Poecilotheria ornata
6. Salmon Pink Birdeater – Lasiodora parahybana
7. Mexican RedRump - Brachypelma vegans
8. Bushy Leg - ?
9. Hercules Baboon – Hysterocrates Hercules

Just write down the one that u would buy personally if it was u buying one. The ones with the ? for scientific name im not exactly sure what type of T it is so if u know could u please give me the latin name. I am only buying one of these Tarantulas and I am going tommorow to the petstore to order and buy the equipment for it.

TheDon

Last edited:

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
If you don't have one, I'd suggest the A. geniculata.. what's your experience level like?

Bill

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Giant White Knee - Acanthoscurria geniculata
Salmon Pink Birdeater – Lasiodora parahybana

Because of all the good things I've read about these two I am intending to order 2 or 3 slings of each in the near future.

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
well as of right now I have 2 T's a Rose, and a Pinktoe... but they both seem to be doing very good... so Im thinking its time to take a step up... I was looking at the Giant White Knee and that was one that was pretty high on my list but im thinkin SunTiger... but still waiting for more people to post till I decide

TheDon

p.s. Im about 100% sure im not gonna mess with the ornamental quite yet

Last edited:

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok let's see;

1.Acanthoscurria geniculata- This is a great species, always in the open and visible. They are eating machines!! Not too defensive, good beginner species.

2.Pterinochilus murinus- FAST!! and AGGRESSIVE!! Webs its enclosure alot, good eaters, easy to keep but quick and very defensive.

3.Fringed and Ornate Ornamentals-Not very visible except at night, quick and shy. Fairly bad venom also.

4.Psalmopoeus irminia-Fast and aggressive, secretive, you won't see alot of them.

5.Lasidora parahybana-Very nice display spider, easy to keep, eats like mad. Stays in the open, can be skittish. Mine is around 9" now.

6.Brachypelma vagans-Nice spider, a little jumpy but eats well. In the open most of the time.

7.Hysterocrates hercules-You will almost never see this spider, very elaborate burrower with many openings and tunnels. Very aggressive.

I hope this helps, I have had experience with all these species and most I have currently.

Andy

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
1.Acanthoscurria geniculata- Georgous and big. A definite must.

2.Pterinochilus murinus- Common name; Orange Bitey Thing. Open tank, spider runs. Spider sees you, spider bites you!! Needs clear burrow so you can see it once in a while. While venom is reportedly systematic, everyone should have one because they are SO VICIOUS and SO MEAN and SO ROTTEN. One of the coolest spiders God ever created!

3.Fringed and Ornate Ornamentals-I'm afraid. I'm very afraid. Venom reportedly systematic.

4.Psalmopoeus irminia-No exp. with this one.

5.Lasidora parahybana-No exp. with this one.

6.Brachypelma vagans-Have a male and a female, verrrrrry pretty, very docile, big hair flickers, if u r allergic, be careful! They can seem skittish, but mine calm right down once they are on my hand.

7.Hysterocrates hercules-I WISH!

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by TheDon
well as of right now I have 2 T's a Rose, and a Pinktoe... but they both seem to be doing very good... so Im thinking its time to take a step up... I was looking at the Giant White Knee and that was one that was pretty high on my list but im thinkin SunTiger... but still waiting for more people to post till I decide

TheDon

p.s. Im about 100% sure im not gonna mess with the ornamental quite yet

Given what you have, and agreeing with all of Vulpina's comments, I'd still suggest the A. geniculata, as a logical step up.

However, if you're a pretty mature, and properly educated individual, you should be able to deal with most of them. On looks alone.. I'd go for the P. ornata (if that's what 'ornate ornamental' means.. I believe the "official" common name is "Fringed Ornamental") But beware.. the two I have beat out every other T in my collection (Including the other two poecilotheria, one of them bigger, one smaller, and the cobalt blue.) in the speed department. I've not had threat posture from them yet, and even handled them when I was feeling rather foolish, but I won't do it again, I'm sure.

The Psalmopeous are another good choice, but again, very very fast. Neither of mine have ever given me threat posture either (admittedly, one's a spiderling)

As for the H. hercules.. It may not be a real hercules, there is alot of confusion as to what a real H. hercules really is. But with any Hysterocrates spp. don't expect to see it much. Mine occasionally goes out fishing late at night, but other than that it's a rare occasion to see it.

I've only recently aqcuired my L. parahybana, but I've handled it, and aside from a little annoyed hair-flicking, it was pretty behaved (did go to threat posture once when rehousing).

P. murinus and B. vagans I have no experience with yet. The usambara I just keep passing up for meaner and prettier spiders, and as far as B. vagans goes, what I hear is that they and B. boehmei are the worst hair kickers in the Brachypelma genus. My two brachys now are both pretty docile, and I know a good number of people who handle B. vagans.

Good luck with your choice, and again, I'd pick the A. geniculata over the others, for now.

Bill

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I put my vote in for Brachypelma vagans--this species is definitely on my top 5 list. Maybe mine is different from everyone else's but here's my experience with my 1" Red Rump, raised from 1/4" sling.

-quite affordable
-easy to attain
-easy to care for
-gorgeous coloration
-great appetite
-does extensive burrowing but still comes out to play
-has no qualms about being handled
-slightly skittish but does fine if you don't do sudden movements
-never kicked hair at me..... but who knows once the little bugger gets full-grown!

And if by Bushy Leg, you mean Brachypelma albopilosum, then get that one too! The common name for this species is Curlyhair and I think they are totally underrated as a species. Basically the same description goes for Curlies as the one I wrote above, minus the extensive burrowing. Some of my Curlies burrow, some don't. And the colors on this species are not captured well on camera. This is not your average brown spider.

Pretty much anything in the Brachypelma genus gets my recommendation. :}

kellygirl

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Ya I wasnt sure about the bushy leg... when he said it I thought maybe Curly Hair but not 100% sure when I go in tomorrow I will see the list for myself and will see the latin names and will no for sure... thnx for all the posts so far it really helps alot

I really like the Giant White Knee which i can get for $30
The Orange Baboon is $35, Bushy Leg is $25, Suntiger is $40, Salmon Pink Bird Eater is $60... its such a hard decision... I think it would be awesome to have either the White Knee or Birdeater because they are both good size and the Orange Baboon is a very nice color but the suntiger is the first one that caught my attention... although I was looking at ornamentals but after reading a few bite reports I think I will hold back on them for awhile

TheDon

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had a question about the Suntiger. My local Petstore has a sling in a very oversized enclosure that looks like Magneto's Plastic Prison in the X-Men movie. Are they behaviorally speaking, escape artists? I've been a little hesitant about buying the more aggressive Arboreals because I'd hate it if they escaped.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I don't know about any T being a real escape artist.. My suntiger is fast as heck though, and tends to bolt up and out when the lid comes off sometimes.

Bill

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've never had any of my arboreals escape, but there is always a first time. At this time I own these arboreals: Avicularia avicularia, Poecilotheria regalis, Psalmopoeus irminia, Heteroscodra maculata, and Iridiopelma hirsutum. I don't worry about the Avic escaping, she's mellow, the regalis doesn't frighten me too much about escaping, she's always behind her cork bark all webbed in with one opening (plus she's big enough she's hard to miss, about 7.5-8"). The Iridiopelma is like lightning! As is the maculata. The irminia is fast but has never tried an escape (YET!!)

Andy

SoCalKyle

Arachnopeon
B. Vagans. Brach's are always a great choice for there color, temperment, and there always going to eat. And for the most part very handable.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by SoCalKyle
B. Vagans. Brach's are always a great choice for there color, temperment, and there always going to eat. And for the most part very handable.
Heh heh! Try telling that to my Brachypelma vagans! She's a nutcase!

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
It really doesn't matter

You'll get them all anyway. Plus, that list will quadriple by next week. If you're new to the hobby, get them in order of docility (is that a freakin word?).

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: It really doesn't matter

Originally posted by D-Man
You'll get them all anyway. Plus, that list will quadriple by next week. If you're new to the hobby, get them in order of docility (is that a freakin word?).
LOL... very true. They told the same thing to me..... I had NO idea how right they were.....:rolleyes:

kellygirl