List of new worlds which do not possess urticating hairs

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
With the input of the experienced members on this site, could this thread be used to compile a list of new worlds which do not possess urticating hairs?

I will add to this list as the esteemed members add them

Neoholothele
Psalmopoeus
tapinauchenius
Pseudoclamoris
D diamantinensis

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Irminia...well, its the whole genus actually......Tappies don't have them either.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
If I’m not mistaken all of Psalmopoeinae is absent and is part of the keying out of subfamily. Psalmopoeus, Tapinauchineus, Pseudoclamoris, So I would take it Ephobopus is likely absent as well, I’m pretty sure it’s still in that subfamily.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
If I’m not mistaken all of Psalmopoeinae is absent and is part of the keying out of subfamily. Psalmopoeus, Tapinauchineus, Pseudoclamoris, So I would take it Ephobopus is likely absent as well, I’m pretty sure it’s still in that subfamily.
I'm pretty sure i've read that ephobopus have urticating hairs on their pedipalps that they flick/rub off

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not true, look up Rick West’s paper describing this unique genus.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Not true, look up Rick West’s paper describing this unique genus.
You have a link? I don’t know that I e read it ?
I'm pretty sure i've read that ephobopus have urticating hairs on their pedipalps that they flick/rub off
Thank you, that’s why I didn’t make a statement only a supposition! Thank you I did not know, but now I do! Learn something new everyday!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You have a link? I don’t know that I e read it ?

Thank you, that’s why I didn’t make a statement only a supposition! Thank you I did not know, but now I do! Learn something new everyday!
Nope, read it years ago

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Holothele
Ischnocolinae sp. "Dominican Republic" (Hobby Holothele sericea/Scopelobates sericeus)

EDIT: I'm sure there is a similar thread lurking about but I can't really be bothered to run a search.

So I would take it Ephobopus is likely absent as well, I’m pretty sure it’s still in that subfamily.
They are in the Psalmopoeinae subfamily but they have urticating hairs located on their pedipalps.

Is it just this species, or the entire genus?
Entire genus as far as I'm aware (I know rufoniger and exilis don't have them).

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
There are 107 species of New World tarantula that do not have urticatious setae. For obvious reasons I won't copy and paste the whole list in this thread so I attached it to this post in TXT format so anyone can import into a spreadsheet program to browse at their leisure. You might need to change the file extension from .txt to .csv to import correctly. It contains the species, subfamily they belong to, and the country(ies) they occur in. The list does not include hobby identified species; only species known to science. That means no "sp. something or other". Have fun!

Attachments

Last edited:

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
This is really great. Maybe it should be a "sticky". It would be really useful for those picking up a new t. A new world lacking urticating setae is a great thing. If someone has the husbandry down, they would "only" have to deal with speed and defensiveness. A bite wouldn't be the end of the world, unless allergic, but I would imagine that comes with any bite.