User Liquifin's Specimen Variation Thread (Probably Helpful)

Liquifin

Arachnoking
This is something that has been bothering me a little. Which is people not posting enough specimen variations within the same species/individuals in terms of pictures :snaphappy:. Well, since most tarantula owners probably cannot afford a lot of the same species. I guess I'll post specimens and show off some pictures of some individuals I have of the same species. Just to clarify, I won't post pictures on this thread unless I have more than 10 specimens of the same species. I find that most people will usually only have 3-5 specimens of the same species at most, which is a smaller number of comparison to show off individuals of the same species.

Now, this isn't a facts or truth thread at all. It's just me posting pictures of multiple specimens of the same species. And this will probably be helpful to some, so if you find this thread helpful, please feel free to bookmark it or whatever will help you re-discover this thread when in need.

One last note: All these specimens that I post will mostly be already sexed by molt just to help on the sex... Because why not? :cigar: So the labeling of the sexes should be accurate unless I label them as "unsexed"

For starters:

Caribena versicolor - Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula Specimens

Sizes range from 2.5'' - 4'' (6.35cm-10cm) Leg span

For starters, I'll start with Males and work down to the females.

Caribena versicolor Male #1

MaleCV1.jpg
MaleCV1-1.jpg

Caribena versicolor Male #2

MaleCV2.jpg
MaleCV2-2.jpg

Caribena versicolor Male #3

MaleCV3.jpg
MaleCV3-3.jpg

Caribena versicolor Male #4

MaleCV4.jpg
MaleCV4-4.jpg

Caribena versicolor Male #5

MaleCV5.jpg
MaleCV5-5.jpg

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Caribena versicolor Males Continued:

Caribena versicolor Male #6

MaleCV6.jpg
MaleCV6-6.jpg

Caribena versicolor Male #7

MaleCV7.jpg
MaleCV7-7.jpg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Caribena versicolor Females:

Caribena versicolor Female #1

FemaleCV1.jpg
FemaleCV1-1.jpg

Caribena versicolor Female #2

FemaleCV2.jpg
FemaleCV2-2.jpg

Caribena versicolor Female #3

FemaleCV3.jpg
FemaleCV3-3.jpg

Caribena versicolor Female #4

FemaleCV4.jpg
FemaleCV4-4.jpg

Caribena versicolor #5

FemaleCV5.jpg
FemaleCV5-5.jpg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Caribena versicolor Female Continued:

Caribena versicolor Female #6

FemaleCV6.jpg
FemaleCV6-6.jpg

Caribena versicolor Female #7

FemaleCV7.jpg
FemaleCV7-7.jpg

Caribena versicolor Female #8

FemaleCV8.jpg
FemaleCV8-8.jpg

Caribena versicolor Female #9

FemaleCV9.jpg
FemaleCV9-9.jpg

Caribena versicolor Female #10

FemaleCV10.jpg
FemaleCV10-10.jpg

A bit more pictures incoming...

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Caribena versicolor Females Continued Part 2:

Caribena versicolor Female #11

FemaleCV11.jpg
FemaleCV11-11.jpg

Caribena versicolor Female #12

FemaleCV12.jpg
FemaleCV12-12.jpg

Caribena versicolor Female #13

FemaleCV13.jpg
FemaleCV13-13.jpg

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Well, since most tarantula owners probably cannot afford a lot of the same species. I guess I'll post specimens and show off some pictures of some individuals I have of the same species. Just to clarify, I won't post pictures on this thread unless I have more than 10 specimens of the same species.
So basically you’re saying “I’m minted and y’all broke!”? :greedy:

Just cruise around in your Bentley waving your diamond encrusted Roley out of the window! Like everyone else! :rofl:

Just kidding! :troll:

Nice pics.:D

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
So basically you’re saying “I’m minted and y’all broke!”? :greedy:

Just cruise around in your Bentley waving your diamond encrusted Roleyon! Like everyone else! :rofl:

Just kidding! :troll:

Nice pics.:D
Funny, but no. The purpose is to just give a bit of insight to some hobbyists and that's about it. I hope this gives new keepers a general idea of how much each individual can look like within the same species. I also hope that this thread will probably reduce the ventral sexing requests for some hobbyists who are unsure of their specimens sex by ventral pictures. Because I see a lot ventral sexing requests for C. versicolor very frequently for starters. My pictures might not be helpful, but I hope it just gives a small insight for starters :).

By the way, I'm a very poor person. :lol:

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Yeah, ventral sexing isn’t easy. I’m trying to learn by checking other peoples’ pics and then comparing my thoughts with the posted answers. Sometimes I’m right, sometimes I’m not!

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Great idea now i just need one like it for Poecilotheria species and their ventral banding :), thx

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Great idea now i just need one like it for Poecilotheria species and their ventral banding :), thx
Only P. regalis has the ventral banding. Some P. striata might have some sort presence of it when smaller, but it's not a prominent as P. regalis. I could do P. striata in the future, but I can't do P. regalis because I don't have any of them :bag:.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
@Liquifin have these all been white balanced to the same tone?
Same tone setting on my camera, yes. Positioning towards the lighting, not really. Why? because getting specimens to stand in the exact same spot as the other specimens is quite hard under my LED lighting. I'm not a photographer in any sense, but I try my best. I'm trying the best I can, but I'm not a fan of editing photos, so I try I try to keep it a simple and natural as possible to avoid any color enhancements, etc.

I personally think I did well, but others can say otherwise.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Same tone setting on my camera, yes. Positioning towards the lighting, not really. Why? because getting specimens to stand in the exact same spot as the other specimens is quite hard under my LED lighting. I'm not a photographer in any sense, but I try my best. I'm trying the best I can, but I'm not a fan of editing photos, so I try I try to keep it a simple and natural as possible to avoid any color enhancements, etc.

I personally think I did well, but others can say otherwise.
Dude I wasn't critiquing your work or photos as if there was something wrong with them! I think they are perfect for what you are trying to achieve. I am severely colorblind so I was asking about the white balance to see if the tonal variations that I pick up on in your photos were due to true color differences, or potentially slightly different camera settings. Nothing wrong with your photos, it was more clarification for me to know what Im looking at is what you are trying to show! :)

Perhaps I should have mentioned this, and why I was asking lol
-I have to white balance photos to a true white for me to be able to better see what normal people see and for me to understand and to make sure what I post is accurate to other people's eyes and not what I see.
-Cause I see all light colors as white- light blues, light pinks, light greens, light purples, light ect's. as well as the same also on the dark spectrum, and many strange colorblind things in between)

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Dude I wasn't critiquing your work or photos as if there was something wrong with them! I think they are perfect for what you are trying to achieve. I am severely colorblind so I was asking about the white balance to see if the tonal variations that I pick up on in your photos were due to true color differences, or potentially slightly different camera settings. Nothing wrong with your photos, it was more clarification for me to know what Im looking at is what you are trying to show! :)

Perhaps I should have mentioned this, and why I was asking lol
-I have to white balance photos to a true white for me to be able to better see what normal people see and for me to understand and to make sure what I post is accurate to other people's eyes and not what I see.
-Cause I see all light colors as white- light blues, light pinks, light greens, light purples, light ect's. as well as the same also on the dark spectrum, and many strange colorblind things in between)
I didn't take the statement negatively, maybe you misinterpret my statement? So no offense taken. Overall, I find it interesting how you perceive photo's since you're colorblind. It really is an interesting perspective to understand on someone on the other side of the spectrum.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Only P. regalis has the ventral banding. Some P. striata might have some sort presence of it when smaller, but it's not a prominent as P. regalis. I could do P. striata in the future, but I can't do P. regalis because I don't have any of them :bag:.
oh mb you are right of course, what i ment was their leg stripes since some of the species are often differenciated based on these

its incredible how closely your positioning maches between the pictures, it makes comparisons between them much easier

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I'm back for more and now it's time for OBT's. It's kind of sad that no one is utilizing my thread. This thread might and can be helpful to those wondering in terms of possible variation and ventral sexing. I have a number of pictures to post, so hold on the comments until I finish uploading them. Let's start with the females and work towards the males for the OBT's. And these are just the normal OBT's, so no color form or regions.

But anyway here we go:

OBTF1F.jpg
OBTF1VF.jpg

OBTF2F.jpg
OBTF2VF.jpg

OBTF3F.jpg
OBTF3VF.jpg

OBTF4F.jpg
OBTF4VF.jpg

OBTF5F.jpg
OBTF5VF.jpg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Now time for the males after the ladies. I hope someone will see use for this in the future.....

So here we Go:

OBTM1F.jpg
OBTM1VF.jpg

OBTM2F.jpg
OBTM2VF.jpg

OBTM3F.jpg
OBTM3VF.jpg

OBTM4F.jpg
OBTM4VF.jpg

OBTM5F.jpg
OBTM5VF.jpg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
OBTM6F.jpg
OBTM6VF.jpg

And that's it for now, but more for the future. I hope people will utilize this if they need help or are just curious...

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Not using the thread so much - only have a single C. versicolor sling right now - but definitely find it interesting and enjoy looking through the photos. I hope you continue adding to it!