Linothele megatheloides

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had the chance to buy one a little while ago from Tarantula Canada, but I opted not to because the dealer isn't so knowledgeable about true spiders and much much more about tarantulas. I remember seeing similar species and people telling me that their venom is bad. I could be wrong though so don't take my word for it.
Hey Jesse,

I might not be too knowledgeable about true spiders, but one thing I do know, these are not true spiders, they are mygalomorphs!;)

Martin

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've got an idea...

How 'bout you all just give them to me?

sound fair?

Erigo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi guys, i have a question:

how much humidity Linothele megatheloides need?

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi,
dunno in percent, but if you keep the substrate moist you won´t have any problems with keeping this species

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Any tips on sexing these? Same as T's with the molt perhaps? I tried, and failed with a very small skin.... looked different inside to me.... I have some larger fresh molts though at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated... I really like these, and would love to send L. fallax 'round the states.

Also, anything out of the ordinary when breeding these? Average number of eggs in a sac?

Cheers,
Scott

Last edited:

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi,
sexing is a little bit more difficult at Dipluridae, since the spermathecae sclerotizes very late during their development. Before it is sclerotized chances to find are much higher when using a lighting from below rather than from above.

Before the spermathecae look like this they´re almost transparent and therefore harder to find - but their shape is almost the same.

Nothin special about breeding Linothele sp., only that you should seperate the spiderlings early. I made some test on communal keeping them (possible at Ischnothele caudata - mother feeds her offspring) and they soon began feeding on each other, although there was plenty of crickets/fruitflies.
Females almost never kill their male.
Depending on the size of the female the amount of eggs within a sac is between 80 and 120.
Opened a sac of L. megatheloides yesterday - bottom of the cricket box is covered with prelarvae :D

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
megatheloides is in the US and will be distributed soon enough.

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Thank you kindly Bastian :)

...and very cool Josh :D

I'll get some pics up in the near future.

Cheers,
Scott

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Here's those pics...

Shy little guys, but here is what I could get so far....

0.0.1 Linothele fallax

Here's some various ways I'm keepin 'em

and here's part of the burrow from that last set up...

Cheers,
Scott

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Scott...thats one fine lookin spidie! Love it. May I ask... did u get it from Crazy D?