Lighting?

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was wondering if there is any lighting that won't bother your T's eyes for night time viewing. Because I keep her cage dark when it is night time. I was wondering if there are any reptile bulbs maybe black light ect.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use red incandescent aquarium lights as a heat source for my display case which houses my T's.The fixtures are hooked to a thermostat which means they go off and on quite regularily.The red light seems to have little to no effect on them what so ever.Doesn't startle them and if they happen to be roaming,eating etc,it doesn't seem to bother them either.I also use the "moonlight" aquarium lights but they tend to be rather pricey....peace..

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks All I have is a G. rosea,but I've heard direct light hurts T's eyes. So I just thought I would ask. I searched the threads but could not find one on proper lighting. TY for the info .:D

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
I also use a 50w infrared heat lamp with a clamped reflector - both for under $20 at pet stores. It's been pretty damn hot here in central Ca., so I don't need it now. But, if I want to see them at night, I can pull the lamp back or point it elsewhere to see them.

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
I agree with pelo. I've used both blacklight lamps and red incandescent bulbs and neither seems to bother even the most skittish of Ts. However, when I turn on the light to the room at night a whole lot of scattering occurs.

Jeff

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, for some reason tarantulas seem to not be able to see red light. Maybe their vision just doesn't go into the longer wavelengths. In the wild I don't think they would ever need to see red light so I guess this makes sense.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
me, i use 60W incandescent lights..

you can see that action goin on in T-ville pretty good too :)
it also keeps the slings a bit warm when its too cool and the heat isnt on (it was oddly really cool in minnesota last week, and the heat wasn't on).

anyways.

peace
dave