Lighting for NEw Emp

loucubanscorpio

Arachnopeon
i had a black light for my new emp and she loved it, always trying to get as close to it as she can but i recently read that having one would eventually damage and even blind them, so i decided to put in a regular house light bulb (60w 120v). once i put that one in she got real mad and started going into her defensive position and jumped off her log and started walking around furiously, i feel bad for it, should i just keep the night glow on it? i bought it from the pet store, it was specifically made for reptiles so why would the moonlight bulb cause any harm? :?

NoS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would assume it is because they can not see the color of the blacklight, but he was enjoying the heat.
When you put in the other bulb he could see it and it stressed him out. They do not like bright lights.

loucubanscorpio

Arachnopeon
well i kno that but what am i supposed to do? the new light is working better and it doesnt seem to bother him anymore but still i was shocked to how it reacted, i guess im just gonna have the black light for night time and the regular one for the day.

NihonRobot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Basically what NoS said...it couldn't see the light and enjoyed the warmth. Emps are sensitive to light, and mine takes off into its burrow as soon as I turn on any lights.

To light his enclosure I use an infrared bulb - they can't see the red light and it helps warm the cage. It's also safe on their eyes.

loucubanscorpio

Arachnopeon
its supposed to be good for reptiles tho, its called night glow and it doesnt say it gives off black light it says it gives off a night moonlight appearance for noctunal animals, so wouldnt it be safe? what about if i installed a dark blue light?

loucubanscorpio

Arachnopeon
its supposed to be good for reptiles tho, its called night glow and it doesnt say it gives off black light it says it gives off a night moonlight appearance for noctunal animals, so wouldnt it be safe? what about if i installed a dark blue light?

NoS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your solution would be this...

Light Covers

Or if you have or could put glass below the lightbulb then you could do what I did.
I have a fish tank top, which keeps the humidity up great. Where the light fixture sits on top, there is glass below it. I went into an automotive store and bought some of that tape that is used to repair broken taillights on cars. It shines red. The tape doesnt look transparent but it is. I covered the glass with this tape, and then set the light fixture on top of it. Even though the bulb is flouresent white, after it passes through this tape it shines red, and helps the heat come up a little as well.
I looked every where locally for the tube slip-over covers but could not find any. I think they would work best, but what I did is working out really well.

UV can not pass through anything solid like glass or plastic. This is a good thing. Even though these rays are in the wild where scorps are found they do not get much at all. They tend to hide from light. Setting a UV bulb right on top of them, whithout blocking the rays, is not good from what I have come to learn.

I am a beginner so please make sure you get word from one of the experts here, as to if what I am suggesting to you will be correct info.

P.S. Reptiles search for and bask in light for heat and the rays. Scorps do not.