Lethergy, sign of molting?

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey guys,

Do centipedes get really lethargic when they're getting ready to molt? I came into check on all my critters tonight, and found one of the Sc. subspinipes lying on it's side, and very lethargic / non-responsive. Earlier today the little beastie was perfectly fine? Up and about, and acting the way they usually do.

It ate 4 large crickets about 3 - 4 days ago, so I really wasn't expecting it to molt. I've always had them go off of their food before they shed, but never noticed any lethargy.

I'm getting kind of worried because all of this came on so suddenly. No signs of mites or anything like that.

What do you think?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My pedes get more defensive/sensitive/jumpy. I don't know, doesn't really sound good to me. I only have one subspinipes though. But it acts like the S. heros pedes I have when it has molted. I keep the subspinipes a little cooler, around the low 70's all the time while it might get up into the 90's where my S. heros are. Seems to be OK since I've had the subspinipes for 1.5 years. There was one time when the subspinipes acted like that. I could touch it and it seemed sick and nonresponsive. But it completely came out of whatever it was that was causing that. Good luck with it.

mischaaussems

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have no experience with centipedes, but some tarantulas become lethargic before a moult. I've seen this a few times with one of my Grammostola rosea species and a Brachypelma boehmei. Some T's become overly active but the most of them act the same as allways.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hmm, laying on it's side,doesn't sound normal i'd keep an eye on it, all of my pedes,heros,ethmostimas,suspinipies,always stop eating before molting,and they are very jumpy/nervous before also,then they sit kinda in a circle for awhile days before molting aswell,this is typical w/all the pedes i have. but w/yours just keep tabs on it,hope it's ok.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bummer :(

Thanks for the info guys, unfortunately the little dude didn't make it. Man that sucks, my first pede to go. It was a pretty rare one that I just got from Botar, an Indonesian Green Centipede so that makes it even more of a bummer.... :(

Hopefully he'll get more in. Such a drag, such a drag indeed.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ah man sorry for your loss:( that sucks,but yeah hopefully you will get another.