Leopard Gecko with crypto?

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So my cousin adopted her from someone, an she didnt know how to take care of it so after a few months she told me about it an gave it to me. When I saw the condition I dont see how this girl is alive. It has been eatin roaches but hasn't takin a poo yet so I dont know if its runny or not. If it has to be put down i can make a co2 chamber for her. Iv had her since feb 14. Any help would be great. I got her in a 10 gal on on tile with hide water an rock by her self so she doesnt contamenate the others. I know to clean her origanal cage(20gal) with imonia. Iv got experence with gecko's an got a few morphs. Any help would be great.

Iv also been dusting the the roaches with reptile vitamin dust.
This pic doesnt give it justice to how bony she is. Is sad.:mad:

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
could be worms, why not take it to the vet and check it out?

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dont have money for vet. Closes reptile vets is around 4 hrs away.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dont have money for vet. Closes reptile vets is around 4 hrs away.
I reccomend whipping up some of the famous Golden Gate Geckos Slurry.A quick google search will pull it up.I would also get some liquid vitamins that should be administered by mouth.I really hope the little guy/girl makes it!

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Also,I would give a humid hide to help with the skin stuck on the toes.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Crypto is pretty specific symptom wise. The fact that it's eating at all and isn't puking or having terribly runny feces makes me think it could be more a case of simple parasites. They can get quite out of control if the animal is being kept in sub-standard care conditions especially, which sounds like it was formerly the case.

Thankfully treating parasites does not require a vet visit if you are savvy with numbers. You can buy fenbendazol over the counter at any livestock or pet store as a dewormer (though I prefer the livestock ones as they tend to have fewer inactive ingredients), and dilute and dose it accordingly (use a reptile formulary). There are also a few OTC commercially produced reptile treatments that may be available online or in a local vendor of exotics (I know even Petsmart carries it).

If you can't afford treating for possible parasites even without vetting, however, I would surrender it to a rescue pronto before its condition becomes more dire.

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks, I can afford stuff from a store but just for most vet visit are over 100 bucks an thats just to see it.... Ill check my local pet stores an animal vets 2marrow.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I hope she makes it.
Are you keeping her hydrated? A little humidity can work wonders, even with desert species. Of course that's an understatement (CLEARLY) for this situation but it can't hurt. If she's actually eating that's an excellent sign too.

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ya she has a super humid hide box an a 8in diameter water bowl. She moves around an eatin. I think she just wasnt feeding her.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ya she has a super humid hide box an a 8in diameter water bowl. She moves around an eatin. I think she just wasnt feeding her.
If that's all there is to it, that's great to hear. Let's hope you can turn her around and get her nice and healthy! :D

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So she poo'd for me today it looked like normal gecko poop smelt the same but between the dark lump an white stuff there was a little yellow, an I might think she is impacted(my cuzin kept her on sand, I got her on tile like the rest of mine.) Most of her under belly is blue. Should I get her cat laxitives an delute it? All the help you guys give is awesome Thanks Guys. Matt.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good to hear its not crypto. I have to say-seeing animals in poor condition really does pull at the heartstrings sometimes-but IMHO it is not worth risking the health of the rest of your collection. Glad to hear this one seems like it will turn out ok.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yellowish coloration to the urates can be the result of simple dehydration. And if she's passing poop, she's not impacted. I would be leery of laxative use. Instead, I would consider soaking her daily in warm water to encourage healthy bowel flow and drinking. If you do worry that she might need something to loosen her stools a bit, I've found that thawing out a bit of daphnia (sold frozen for fish to eat) and syringing it does a great job of getting things flowing without the potential risks of feeding laxatives intended for larger animals.