Leopard gecko not eating

Lady_Shadowlily

Arachnopeon
Ok, so I just got myself an adorable little leopard gecko on Sunday and already I'm worried about it. It seemed healthy--not afraid of me, cruising around and exploring, licking stuff, etc. But the next day it had settled into its hide and has barely moved in days. It won't eat the small crickets I tried to give it; last night I took the lid off his tank to refill the water, and this seemed to wake it up a little. It looked at me curiously, then went out and drank for a good two minutes, crawled back into its cave and has been there ever since). Is this normal? :?

And is it normal for them not to want crickets? I'm not sure what else to try; I heard they like waxworms but I'm not sure if Petco carries them.

Here's Periwinkle...does (s)he look too skinny? :confused:

x-topher

Arachnopeon
Not yet, but hopefully he won't lose any more weight. It soundas like he's dehydrated. What we do with our leaopard gex is get them a proportionately sozed deli cup or tupperware, cut a small access hole, fill it with damp moss, and keep the moss damp. It makes a little "sauna" for them. They usually love it, and I betcha he'll spend a lot of his time there.

titus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
S/he Looks to be in good health by the tail size, I wouldn't worry too much. Give it some time and it will start eating. I raise my Leos strictly on meal worms, it's simply easier then having crickets running around the cage.

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, so I just got myself an adorable little leopard gecko on Sunday and already I'm worried about it. It seemed healthy--not afraid of me, cruising around and exploring, licking stuff, etc. But the next day it had settled into its hide and has barely moved in days. It won't eat the small crickets I tried to give it; last night I took the lid off his tank to refill the water, and this seemed to wake it up a little. It looked at me curiously, then went out and drank for a good two minutes, crawled back into its cave and has been there ever since). Is this normal? :?

And is it normal for them not to want crickets? I'm not sure what else to try; I heard they like waxworms but I'm not sure if Petco carries them.

Here's Periwinkle...does (s)he look too skinny? :confused:

did you get it from petco? when i got mine it did the same thing. if you did, just make sure the substrates too big to eat. (yours seems to be the same size as mine, so i suggest coco bark. never use sand!) and put a bowl of meal worms or wax worms in its enclosure. that should do the trick. just make sure
its tail never shrinks to a size smaller then its hips. if it does, get it to a vet. your pets starving to death when that happens. about the wax worms, most petcos have them with the meal worms, so your petco should have them.
if your not sure about its gender.... males have a v- shape between there lower legs. females have it, but its not as noticible.
good luck with your new leopard gecko.

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
umm.. it is very dehydrated, they dont normally drink the water much, well mine dosent. i just keep a bit in thier just incase they need it, Also for babys only ever use papertowels, everything else is to risky!

cheers conor.

P.s what type is it?

joseofsa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
xtopher gave some good advice.i have some gladware with a hole in the side filled with moss i mist the inside every day with warm water so it humid im there 24/7. Based on the pic the only thing that raises a flag is your fingures which look covered in sand and in the corner you can see a tank filled with sand. sand=bad for leopards IMO. use paper towles they are cheap and easy to work with.
jose

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We had humidity boxes in with our leopard geckos. Good of you to mention that x-topher. Besides a water dish these are a must I feel with these guys. With our young ones, we didn't feed them in thier home...they were removed and put in a small kk so that they didn't have to search and find thier food. Once they were larger we fed them in their tank.

Lady_Shadowlily

Arachnopeon
Not yet, but hopefully he won't lose any more weight. It soundas like he's dehydrated. What we do with our leaopard gex is get them a proportionately sozed deli cup or tupperware, cut a small access hole, fill it with damp moss, and keep the moss damp. It makes a little "sauna" for them. They usually love it, and I betcha he'll spend a lot of his time there.
Thanks, I'll try that...so you keep the deli cup with the moss in the tank at all times?

Lady_Shadowlily

Arachnopeon
xtopher gave some good advice.i have some gladware with a hole in the side filled with moss i mist the inside every day with warm water so it humid im there 24/7. Based on the pic the only thing that raises a flag is your fingures which look covered in sand and in the corner you can see a tank filled with sand. sand=bad for leopards IMO. use paper towles they are cheap and easy to work with.
jose
Yes, you're right, that *is* sand--but have no fear! It's on my hands because I was taking it out. I made the mistake of buying sand, thinking that some considered it fine--then I read more about the dangers of it, so I switched to paper towels.

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes...I kept mine in at all times...it was part of their home. Check it every couple of days and make sure it's moist.