Leopard gecko help..

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
View attachment 248741 Update.. she managed to tong feed on some crickets and showed some enthusiasm for mealworms in her dish, but she's getting skinnier.. doesn't even go for food anymore.. View attachment 248739
Man not looking so good, she's very skinny. So no interest in food at all? That's unusual... not sure what's to be done in this case. Mine have always showed interest in feeding.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Man not looking so good, she's very skinny. So no interest in food at all? That's unusual... not sure what's to be done in this case. Mine have always showed interest in feeding.
None yesterday. I'll be trying again today.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
None yesterday. I'll be trying again today.

keks

Arachnobaron
Sorry for the stupid question. But why don't you go to the vet with your gecko?

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
View attachment 248741 Update.. she managed to tong feed on some crickets and showed some enthusiasm for mealworms in her dish, but she's getting skinnier.. doesn't even go for food anymore.. View attachment 248739
This is a decent time of the year for most feeders, would it be possible to get hold of some small hornworms for her? They are high in moisture and nearly devoid of any chitin. You'd probably still have to tong feed. They don't retain calcium or multi-vitamin dust very well so they are better as a once a week feeder.
Hornworms grow very quickly, however they are a good food source for your larger tarantulas once they get a bit bigger.
Typically the bright colors incite a great feeding response. Hopefully she will get back on track soon.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Any improvement on the lizard's condition? Wax worms may be an option, but should be used sparingly as possible. they are pretty high in fat and it is said that they get kind of hooked on them and then will refuse other sorts of food. They are really soft, so I would imagine very digestible. If there has been no improvement, I guess getting her to eat anything at all would be a step in the right direction. The tail in the photo is alarming, the gecko is depleting its fat reserve.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Not much better I'm afraid... :(
I still try feeding s couple times a week, she doesn't show any interest at all in mealworms, so I don't even bother trying supers. I'll try waxworms I suppose..

She showed alot of interest in crickets when I tried them again a few days ago. I left a few in overnight and didn't see any the next day, so I'm optimistic.. I'll be getting more soon and monitoring more closely..

She's shedding regularly, and is still fairly active, just like I remember her being when I first bought her a few years ago.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I still try feeding s couple times a week, she doesn't show any interest at all in mealworms, so I don't even bother trying supers. I'll try waxworms I suppose..

She showed alot of interest in crickets when I tried them again a few days ago. I left a few in overnight and didn't see any the next day, so I'm optimistic.. I'll be getting more soon and monitoring more closely..

She's shedding regularly, and is still fairly active, just like I remember her being when I first bought her a few years ago.
At this point, if the crickets end up being a miss too, I'd hand feed/force feed.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
How do I do that?
I've never had to really do it but generally, you get them under your control in the least stressful way possible, rub the side of their jaw to get them to open their mouth, then place the prey as far back in their mouth as you safely can. If you can get some kind of processed food and use a syringe to feed them, that'd probably be alot better. And of course, if you're using prey items, make sure it's small enough to be swallowed without them chewing it.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I've never had to really do it but generally, you get them under your control in the least stressful way possible, rub the side of their jaw to get them to open their mouth, then place the prey as far back in their mouth as you safely can. If you can get some kind of processed food and use a syringe to feed them, that'd probably be alot better. And of course, if you're using prey items, make sure it's small enough to be swallowed without them chewing it.
@Venom1080 Can't you mush up the prey so it's like pureed, put it in her mouth and feed?

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron

Some progress is better than none. Good call skipping meal/super worms. While supers aren't as bad the chitin levels wouldn't help her situation. Not sure if you have tried other options for feeders but I have found one seller in Canada that offers some different feeder insects. Since I don't want to get in trouble for posting outside links I will pm you the info. If possible try getting her some hornworms, even during brumation my female will eat a couple when they are offered. The green color seems to enhance the feeding response with some Leo's.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
How is the little lass doing? Hopefully we'll, brumation time is fast approaching and she definitely will need the fat reserves to be high.

CitizensOfTheWomb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Could be be crypto or some other type of parasite. You should take him to the vet so they can do a fecal test. I read that if you can get them to lick vitamin powder off your finger it can elicit a feeding response.
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but dubia roaches also make good feeders.
Also, if you haven't already please get a UTH. Belly heat is necessary for them to digest food.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
It might be a last-ditch effort, but there is this product that might be worth a try. I've never used it so I cannot recommend it, but I would try it if all else failed. The reviews are mixed, so caveat emptor. Some say it was a life-saver, while others claim it killed their reptile. There is always the possibility that their reptile was too far gone and would have died anyway, I suppose. You would have to read the reviews and draw your own conclusion.
Also, I agree with the above post, a fecal exam should be done.

https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Supplies-Jump-Start-Appetite-Stimulant/dp/B000QFOIDE