Leiurus quinquestriatus

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just a quickie only post if you have experience with this please

Would 2 sub adults live ok together male and female?

Thanks

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if they are the same size, most likely yes, but there may also be cannibalism, since they arent adults. its your call

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just a quickie only post if you have experience with this please

Would 2 sub adults live ok together male and female?

Thanks
IMO u shoulda probably done some research before jumping into these guys.

My male and female lived together fine...but they were adults, and i ended up getting 53 babies outta the deal. i separated the male from the female only becuz i didnt want him hurting the babies or her killing him...after the babies were off moms back and on their own i put them back together, they are still doing fine. of the 53 babies i still have 38 kept communal all doing VERY well. only 2 deaths, i sold the other 13. every so often i do a head count and ive found 2 that were dead but not eaten...i feel this is just a natural occurrence. so in my experience yes they can be kept together but once again u are taking risks.

please follow up and do some MORE research about your extremely dangerous, medically significant pets before getting into them as its frowned upon in the hobby to get into something like that without knowledge and understanding.

just my 200ths of a dollar.

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They'll likely be perfectly fine.

I have four tanks with single adult LQ pairs in each. I've been keeping LQs this way for the past 3 years with only two instances of cannibalism and severe fighting. In both instances I added a new scorpion to an existing "communal" setup. My actions seemed to upset the balance of power in the LQ cages and they did something about it - lol. Very interesting behavior nonetheless.

Jeff

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

My male and female lived together fine...but they were adults, and i ended up getting 53 babies outta the deal. i separated the male from the female only becuz i didnt want him hurting the babies or her killing him...after the babies were off moms back and on their own i put them back together, they are still doing fine. of the 53 babies i still have 38 kept communal all doing VERY well. only 2 deaths, i sold the other 13. every so often i do a head count and ive found 2 that were dead but not eaten...i feel this is just a natural occurrence. so in my experience yes they can be kept together but once again u are taking risks.

please follow up and do some MORE research about your extremely dangerous, medically significant pets before getting into them as its frowned upon in the hobby to get into something like that without knowledge and understanding.

Interesting, i always keep in mind that every buthidae shouldn't be house communally till they are adult, prove me wrong here {D
How often do u feed them and what's the size of their enclosure?

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Thanks for the insight, but I am not just getting into these I have kept LQ's for a few years and yes always individually and have done loads of research. I am well aware of what they are and there venom potency I find it a little patronising you have replied thinking I am a noob though.

I raised the question because I have a new 2ft tank and as I have never housed these communally thought I would ask other peoples experiences with doing this.

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They'll likely be perfectly fine.

I have four tanks with single adult LQ pairs in each. I've been keeping LQs this way for the past 3 years with only two instances of cannibalism and severe fighting. In both instances I added a new scorpion to an existing "communal" setup. My actions seemed to upset the balance of power in the LQ cages and they did something about it - lol. Very interesting behavior nonetheless.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, what size tanks were your pairs kept in?

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you might have to trial and error this.
its that way with all scorpions. buthids commonly eat each other at early instars. heck, my C. Gracilis were fine until molting time, and one would disappear after 4th, so i went from 4 to 2. however, my b. jacksoni lived together from 4th to 7th. But theyre different after 4th instar.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Interesting, i always keep in mind that every buthidae shouldn't be house communally till they are adult, prove me wrong here {D
How often do u feed them and what's the size of their enclosure?
I feed them 2x a week and they live in a very wide but shallow sterilite container with lots of itty bitty vent holes.

Thanks for the insight, but I am not just getting into these I have kept LQ's for a few years and yes always individually and have done loads of research. I am well aware of what they are and there venom potency I find it a little patronising you have replied thinking I am a noob though.

I raised the question because I have a new 2ft tank and as I have never housed these communally thought I would ask other peoples experiences with doing this.
My bad, i apologize for coming off as patronizing. Though it was my intentions i perhaps shoulda asked if you were experienced with these guys or not. once again i am sorry. I actually housed mine in a 10 gallon squat (Which is the foot print of a 10 but only 8 inches tall) and they are doing fine. but once again they are adults. best of luck to you!

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cheers pal, just read your LQ has popped again grats on that.