Leg Loss During Molts?

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm just wondering about this. Two of my slings molted, and both have lost a limb or two. My B. vagans sling lost two legs and a palp, my P. murinus lost a palp. Why do they does this happen?

The humidity was up during their molts, and during premolt.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Internal moisture is sometimes to blame. And external. If the air surrounding the sling is to dry it can dry out the skin faster then the sling can get the legs out. This is the main reason that no matter what the sling I keep them moist.

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What Ryan said is correct. Their prey should be well hydrated too. Make sure that the crickets or whatever you are feeding them have access to fruit, vegetables, water gel, or some other water source.

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All that is accounted for. =D I'm still lost. There are water droplets on the sides of their containers.... the relative humidity is 95%.... :wall:

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All that is accounted for. =D I'm still lost. There are water droplets on the sides of their containers.... the relative humidity is 95%.... :wall:
Stuff happens. This business of oozing out of one's skin every time one needs to grow or rejuvenate oneself is a risky business. The lucky ones and those with the fewest developmental or genetic defects make it okay. All others become someone else's lunch.

It's a jungle out there, even in a little bottle on your shelf.