Leeches and my other pets

MTA

Arachnosquire
One of the weirdest insects I've seen, she was found in the temple of Ta Prohm in Cambodia under a rotten log. She eats snails and slugs only. The females stay a larva for life and males look like a normal firefly.

Also my Hirudo nipponia made 3 more cocoons (the bigger ones on top)

Last edited:

MTA

Arachnosquire
My biggest Orobdella sp. is "pregnant" I don't really know what the term for it is but leeches get this light band a few segments behind their heads before they lay cocoons.

The Hydrophilus acuminatus larvae are getting very big now, they will probably pupate soon.

MTA

Arachnosquire
Unidentified beetle larvae from Cambodia, I think they are either a darkling or click beetle larvae.

Hemiplecta distincta

Here are some leeches I found in a rice paddy.

A Whitmania sp., either W. edentula or W. laevis.

Unidentified Erpobdellid

A Barbronia sp.

MTA

Arachnosquire
The Hirudinaria manillensis, a bloodsucking leech which I got on May 12th have had their 2nd meal now and the biggest one is almost 3 inches, they were a little less than an inch when I first got them.

Here is some color variation in Hirudo nipponia, another bloodsucking leech. The paler ones were found in a muddy lotus pond with murky water, while the darker ones were found in a series of clear watered weedy ponds with lots of dead leaves.

Here are a comparison of 2 species of Whitmania leeches, the bigger ones are W. pigra, and the smaller ones are probably W. edentula.

Here is a close-up of the head region of a Whitmania pigra, it is easy to see the eyes on this species.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Two questions. First, out of curiosity, what's a leech's lifespan like? And second, none of these eat worms, but do you house the Erpobdella together? I wonder if they would eat each other.

Amazing growth on the Hirudinaria.

MTA

Arachnosquire
Two questions. First, out of curiosity, what's a leech's lifespan like? And second, none of these eat worms, but do you house the Erpobdella together? I wonder if they would eat each other.

Amazing growth on the Hirudinaria.
Life span depends on the leech, Erpobdella obscura usually lives around 1 year they die after creating cocoons, another predatory leech, Haemopis probably lives a couple years.Hirudo is supposed to live to around 10 years, Hirudinaria apparently lives to 20 years but that sounds pretty far fetched. Erpobdella can be housed together but keep an eye on them when feeding, I had 2 try to eat part of a chopped worm and 1 of leeches started swallowing the other one since both were attached to the worm so I had to pull the other one out.

MTA

Arachnosquire
Hydaticus grammicus adult and L1 larva, they are pretty easy to keep and breed. These lay their eggs on floating plant roots and other stuff. Larvae aren't too hard too rear, mine are doing well on water fleas and tubiflex worms and have molted to l2.

Here is a Whitmania pigra feeding on a juvenile Radix sp. snail.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Does that mean you tried!!?? :eek:

Interesting thread - was not aware that really anyone kept leeches.
Well it's not like I had a supply of frozen bovine blood on hand or something.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love the Lamprigera. Firefly larvae are so beautifully freaky with their little retractable heads and sickle mandibles.

Last edited:

MTA

Arachnosquire
Aquarium I keep my Whitmania pigra in, the styrofoam is for some diving beetles I keep in there to climb out of the water.

I keep my baby leeches in delicups with some plants, these are baby Hirudo nipponia.

Whitmania pigra being all scrunched up.

Whitmania pigra hiding in a shell

Video of my female Lamprigera glowing

Here is a picture of her stretched out and a picture of her glowing organs.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
That shell appears to have a hole in it. It wasn't drilled by the Whitmania, was it?

MTA

Arachnosquire
That shell appears to have a hole in it. It wasn't drilled by the Whitmania, was it?
No, i picked up the shell at a pond. Whitmania can't drill, it just sticks it's head into a snails shell and eats the meat.

MTA

Arachnosquire
My Hydrophilus larvae pupated 2 days ago!

Here is a picture of it recently molted

Here is a picture of it today.

Baby Meghimatium sp., This slug is really different from other since it's mantle covers the whole body. They are growing well on squash and fishfood.

Sarasinula sp., a kind of leatherleaf slug and this one was found in Cambodia.

Whitmania pigra feeding on an apple snail.

I used to put my leeches in a tupperware container filled with moss when they were ready to create cocoons, but I put in some moss on styrofoam in my W. pigra aquarium to see if they would lay cocoons there.

The baby W. pigra are growing well, they are now around 1cm.

Baby Whitmania edentula.

Hirudo nipponia preforming the waving motion most leeches do, I think they do this to absorb breathe better since the movement circulates water around them.

scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've wanted to get leeches for a while. They seems super cool. Just don't know where to get them :/

MTA

Arachnosquire
I've wanted to get leeches for a while. They seems super cool. Just don't know where to get them :/
This is a good place for Hirudo medicinalis: http://leeches.biz/
If you want Erpobdella obscura this is a good place for them: http://www.knutsonlivebait.com/leeches.html
There is also this guy in the Netherlands you can get Hirudinaria manillensis from, I've ordered from him and he shipped quick and the leeches were all alive upon arrival: https://m.facebook.com/Friedrichvan...l_objid.681955021991504:actrs.100004404340640

MTA

Arachnosquire
I fed my Hirudinaria manillensis yesterday and they are getting huge, this species grows very quickly it seems.

This is my biggest H. manillensis with a quarter for scale.

I also fed my pale Hirudo nipponia around week ago, and they are getting pretty big now, around 1 1/2-2 inches.

Whitmania pigra doing the waving motion, to help with respiration I think

2 W. Pigra eating the same snail, they usually don't do this.

The Hydrophilus acuminatus pupa is developing well and the beetle should emerge in a couple of days.

MTA

Arachnosquire
The Hydrophilus acuminatus pupa succesfully eclosed! I'm really happy about this, it is the first time I've reared an aquatic beetle from egg to adult, didn't get a picture of her freshly eclosed though, she is a couple days old in this picture.

Hirudinaria manillensis sleeping, I've only seen this species sleep like this, not sure if my other species sleep.

Sometimes Whitmania laevis I got from a rice paddy, along with a Whitmania acranulata. I have only found this genus in rice paddies so far.

A closer picture of Whitmania acranulata.

This Whitmania laevis has a very different coloration. I wonder if it's albino, or something like that.

Some other Whitmania laevis.

Ventral side of Whitmania laevis.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Hirudinaria manillensis sleeping, I've only seen this species sleep like this, not sure if my other species sleep.
I'm almost positive they all do, sleep is pretty basic to the vast majority of bilaterian animals. Even C. elegans nematodes sleep.