Leech found with blackworms.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So that's how they do it! I wonder if you could drop in dead mice for them. I guess you could always stick a few on your arm and feed em that way. Eeeew :}

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So that's how they do it! I wonder if you could drop in dead mice for them. I guess you could always stick a few on your arm and feed em that way. Eeeew :}
i tried frozen thawed pinky mice they latched on sucked alittle then refused i guess amphibians are their main diet, but i had one get on me by mistake,when i was cleaning the container they were in,when they warm up alittle they get very aggressive and want to feed,i let it feed on me,which took about acouple of minutes,it dropped off back into the container w/the others,very slight stinging and man the wound kept bleeding it was really nasty i put alot of bandages on the wound very tight it took some time to stop bleeding(i'll never get in that mess again:wall: ) it left a little x mark from it's little razor like teeth jaws. now kids don't try this at home{D i'll tell ya you can bleed to death if your not careful........well maybe not to death;P

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I assure you, it must have looked worse than it was. That "so much" blood was comming was certainly not due to anything other than the anti coagulant they inject when feeding.

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gross dude, letting it feed off of you...

That aside, I used to work for a lab at OSU taking care of their grasshopper colony. One of the labs down the hall left them a 'gift' of a bunch of leeches in a plastic bag and cup when the door was open and nobody was home... My boss tried to give them to me, she thought I would appreciate them some how... I so kindly refused to take them. *shiver* Leeches and lampreys freak me out.

Anyways, we fed them in the lab bits of cow liver from the grocery store. The liver usually comes packed in copious amounts of blood and seemed to work fine for the 4 inch grey ones we had. We also gave them a rock. For some reason they liked the really big rock comming out of the water.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I assure you, it must have looked worse than it was. That "so much" blood was comming was certainly not due to anything other than the anti coagulant they inject when feeding.
oh yeah, it did with all that blood coming out of my finger,but then when it finally stopped(thank god:clap: ) the wound was so tiny alittle x mark, the thing i hate is when your bleeding have some pain to go along with it,but hardly any pain and all that blood coming out was making me get sickly,on the side note i didn't want to let it feed on me,but i coudn't just pull it off injuring it and me:)

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
oh yeah, it did with all that blood coming out of my finger,but then when it finally stopped(thank god:clap: ) the wound was so tiny alittle x mark, the thing i hate is when your bleeding have some pain to go along with it,but hardly any pain and all that blood coming out was making me get sickly,on the side note i didn't want to let it feed on me,but i coudn't just pull it off injuring it and me:)
That's chivalry ;)

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The ones that come with blackworms eat blackworms. I've never seen them attach to fish. Actually, bigger fish like them.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The ones that come with blackworms eat blackworms. I've never seen them attach to fish. Actually, bigger fish like them.
I think they live under flat rocks too. I remember fishing in a pond once and flipping over a flat rock and seeing 3 or 4 of them attached to the bottom of it..so I assume thats the kind of "home" they look for.... they also unattatched themselves from the rock and started flopping around tad once the rock brkoe the plane of the water and they were exposed to air.... If anyone has pics they should post them, I'm a bit interested now. :)

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ive kept leeches before. I had the ones you buy at the bait shop, which prefer to eat live fish... go figure... figured this out AFTER i put a couple dozen in my teachers tropical fish tank.... it was very very ugly situation, there was torn apart fish bodies and fish eyeballs floating in the aquarium, and on top of that if you keep them do NOT use undergravel filteration, they get stuck under it and die and smell horrid :p. Hope that helps!