Leaving the hobby...

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
...temprorarily hopefully. I have come to this hard decision. I will keep maybe 5 of my current Ts. The rest will be gone. The hardest part of selling my babies is not knowing how well they will be taken care of at their new homes. It has been hard deciding which ones to keep. I have been building this collection for years. But I'm definitly keeping my M.cabocla sling, one of my P.murinus slings, and my GBB sling. Maybe one or two others.

I just fear that some of my more demanding Ts (E.murinus, M.robustum, etc..) will not be cared for properly.

I just wanted to make this thread to post pictures and stories about some of my babies.

My M.robustum girl. I got her from this guy who doesn't take care of his Ts. I had always wanted one of these. This species is the main reason that I got into the hobby. She was in pemolt when Igot her, which made getting her even more exciting!

I might end up keeping this girl. One of my female P.murinus. This girl gave me my first and second (and only) succesful egg sacs. She is very special to me. She belonged to a buddy of mine who gave her to me before he moved away on Marine Corps business.

And this little bugger, a female C.fasciatum...I bought her years ago to be my first breeding. She wounded one male, molted, and then ate the other male! Haha, she certainly is something else and she will be missed.

This is one of two of my B.smithi. I saw these guys at a local pet store labled as "Rose Hair Babies", I saw that they clearly were not, so I brought them both home a few days apart from each other.

I got this beautiful girl in a trade last summer. She is truly one of the most stunning T's I have ever had. I used her to help a buddy of mine get over his fear of Ts.

And this female P.scrofa....do I even need to say anything? Just look at how pretty she is! The copper colors on her are beautiful.

My favorite pokie species, even above metallica! One of my favorites of my collection. My female P.rufilata. I got her as a gift 2 years ago, I think. I may keep her as well. Hard choices here!

I got this beauty from Justin and Theresea and a local show. My 2nd favorite baboon species (P.murinus is the first ;))

More pictures will come soon.

Organophosphate

Arachnopeon
Years ago when there wasn't even an Internet and I used a dot matrix printer I did my best in this hobby if you could even call it that...when my wife gave birth to our first girl I decided to give up all my Ts....19 years later, 3 kids, dogs, cats, etc I've decided to start collecting Ts again. The love of Ts never leaves you! You will miss it, forget about it, and then one day...buy another and the whole thing will start again

Good luck!

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Drooling over your robustum.Been debating finding another one.

imatroll

Arachnopeon
Hey, 5 tarantulas is already 4 more than I have. All your T's are very beautiful, and good luck with your decision.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would be like you, worried to death that someone else might not provide the same level of care, not truly appreciate the individual Ts. That's a tough decision. Good luck to you.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I recently left another hobby... and got into collecting Ts instead. I've never had more than one at a time over the past 30 years. So hard to leave one thing completely, best of luck!

You have some beautiful and well-loved Ts. If you decide they should ship to Texas, they'd have a good home with me LOL!

Marga

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry to here it, Jake :( ...your collection is truely kicka$$

GregorSamsa

Arachnosquire
What a bummer, I'm sorry to hear that :(

But shoot me a PM, with some details & where you are in PA. I may be able to take a couple off of your hands ;)

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks guys. I will definitly still have a passion for Ts, and maybe in a year or so down the road, once I have everything situated, I'll start to pick up again. I just don't feel like I can give them all the attention that they deserve right now.

Another one that I'll be keeping...my big rosea girl. She'll be with me until she's gone. I have had her for a long time. She is one of the first T's that I ever had and she is the only remaining T out of my first 10. The rest either passed or matured. This is my baby.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Good luck with everything. I know life changes are hard! (Been there, have multiple t-shirts and funeral programs!!!)

That is one gorgeous T, not that the others aren't. I love roseas just as much as any other T (since there are a dozen now living in my collection)!!!

Marga

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks Marga. Yea it's extremely difficult deciding which few toeep because I have raised many of my adult females from slings. But I have been finding a lot of these guys homes. I just hope that they are good ones.

So far I have decided to keep my M.cabocla sling, my GBB sling, one P.murinus sling, and one of my B.smithi juviniles.

I'm still debating on keeping my adult female P.irminia (raised from 2nd instar), female P.pulcher (raised from a sling), female S.rubronitens, and female E.pachypus, along with a few others, but that may be too many.

I won't be home too often a few months from now. I will be a full time college student and working a part time job that is normally 4-5 days a week. So I will be going to classes in the morning/afernoons and working in the evenings. I will also be taking care of my uncle throughout the day when I have time, taking him to appointments and such. It would just be more convienient to reduce my T count. I don't think that I'll have the heart to get rid of my snakes.

Once things slow down a bit, whenever that will be, I want to pick up the hobby again if I can.