Learning to sex

Mallard

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have read many articles and papers on sexing Tarantulas,because I am interested in doing this on my own. I am having difficulty finding pics of Tibial hooks from Different species. If anybody has pics clearly showing these hooks I would greatly appreciate seeing them. Also any other pics showing spermathecae or epiandrous fusillae would be a big help in furthering my education on these amazing little beings.
Big thanks
Jason

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are a ton of good examples in the "Tarantula Sexing" section that show both:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/browseimages.php?c=2

As far as hooks go, i think they look basically the same and are pretty obvious on the species that have them. Of course you will only see these after the male T is mature. i think its fun to sex with a molt because you can find out right away.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Not all mature males have hooks!

Poecilotheria males dont have hooks
Encyocratella olivacea males don't have hooks either

The most reliable way of sexing a tarantula is via exuvium (shed skin).
In a female you're looking for the spermathecea (the organ that stores the males sperm, which fertilises the eggs as she lays them), also accompanied by the uterus externus (where the eggs are stored)

In males this is not present. You find the male's accessory organs. On some species these can be very promient and easily confused with spermathecae.

So if you find the uterus externus you have a female, if you don't find it..you have a male basically lol

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Not all mature males have hooks!

Poecilotheria males dont have hooks
Encyocratella olivacea males don't have hooks either

The most reliable way of sexing a tarantula is via exuvium (shed skin).
In a female you're looking for the spermathecea (the organ that stores the males sperm, which fertilises the eggs as she lays them), also accompanied by the uterus externus (where the eggs are stored)

In males this is not present. You find the male's accessory organs. On some species these can be very promient and easily confused with spermathecae.

So if you find the uterus externus you have a female, if you don't find it..you have a male basically lol
Well put.

I'll add the following.
There are some great resources of pics of spermathecae to compare to.
I've found these very helpful.
here's just one
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the.tarantula.store/spermathecae%20gallery.htm
A dissecting microscope is an AWESOME addition to this endeavor but many people prefer not to invest that much $$ into a tool of that nature.

I have been ablt to sex T's as small as 1 - 1.25 inch accurately.

as for looking for hooks.. by that time it's like it's "too late"
With breeding loans and plans it's better to know before all that happens :)

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Here's my P. murinus...

and my G. rosea...

G. rosea's "boxing gloves"...

Immature male G. aureostriata (4.5") epiandrous fusellae (the little bushy black spot)...

You can see the little patch of epiandrous fusellae on this other immature male G. aureostriata (3.25") as well...

Last edited:

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Amanda,

How big are your immature male G. aureostriata T's? i have one i think is a female who is about 4". i have immature males of other species and their epiandrous fusellae is obvious. i was hoping this one might be a girl as i see no obvious signs of epiandrous fusellae at this point but wasn't sure how obvious it might be at this size.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The largest (the first pic there) was around 4.5" when that pic was taken. He molted and added an inch about a month ago. The second is 3"-3.5".