Learning Scientific Names??

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am trying to learn as many tarantula scientific names as I can. I was just wondering how some of you have done it and if there is an easy way to remember them. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey there!

Well, maybe whenever you post try to use the scientific names, and start small -- take your collection, and get their names down..

then move on to the Ts you want, and get their scientific names down...

then slowly move outwards from a certain T.. i.e - all the avics...

when you research Ts on the net, or in books, make sure youre looking at the scientific names...

it'll all just come together the more you use them.
thats one of the best things i think: use the scientific names when you can.

just look at some lists and pictures...

but start familiar: the Ts you own.. then the Ts you want.. then some of the T's people post about alot, etc....

then just spread out from there.

but i'd def say when youre researching, just use the scientific names.

don't worry, it'll all fall into place the more you use them and research with them :)

Maybe it might be easier to try it like this:

all the popular Avics..
all the popular Grammostolas..
all the popular Poecilotheria...

and then move outwards from there..

just throwing a couple of ideas out there....

i seriously think that the more you USE them, the easier it gets.. when you talk Ts with people, use the scientific names, too!

after you get into this for a couple moths/years it'll be like old hat. Don't just memorize them, really learn them, since the more you get into this, the more you'll probably use them :)

Also, use the pics on Rick West's (or whoever else's) page if you need! its good to put a picture to the name, too, sometimes... Also, try to get to some Rep shows and see some new species...

whew.
alright,
good luck!

peace
dave

Last edited:

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
I don't do this, but just a thought. Use something like Excel to make your own list with sci and common names on it for reference. I'm can draft something up on Excel for you, if you'd like - just the spreadsheet blank, not a full list.

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i find its easier to remember the names than actually pronouncing them...

is that just me?

stu

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I've got to agree that the pronouncing them is fairly difficult for me too, but I don't have too much trouble remembering them. But, I did get a head start in getting used to them from being into growing perennial plants, as they are almost always referred to with the Latin.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I didn't see grammostola on that . Is it ( gram-OH-stole-ah) ?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I found the ones that krystal posted to be most helpful. I printed them and pull them out and read them when I'm sitting on the porch, bored to tears!! Actually, I started with the species I own and then started practicing the ones I WANT to own. It gets easier as you go along, you will soon start recognizing patterns.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the info everyone, all are good ideas. I know the Avic's since they are my fave, I am better at the arboreal names than the terestrials.

D-Man, thanks for the offer, I am pretty good at Excel and I may start a spread sheet of my own. I will also read the links you have all sent me.

I want to learn as many names as possible, I think right now I am better at knowing a T by sight, than by proper name.