Latrodectus (Theridiidae) Picture Thread

Atx512

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the comment and wish we had some red backs like you have. I dont mind the hr. glass on ours here but seeing all the different kinds out there makes me a lil jelly at times you know. As far as the momma goes she passed yesterday morning IDK what causeed her to pass so now ill have to go hunt for another, but the babies are coming up nicely there were a couple of molts so just gotta start separating them soon I guess.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
20180324_221819.jpg
Someone I know runs a pest control business and found this female in a bait trap with some egg sacks. I'm not sure what he did with the sacks but he said if I didn't want this girl he would just kill her so I just figured I'd take her in. I was hoping I could also get an ID on her, I'm thinking mactans. She was also caught in Houston, Texas.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I was hoping I could also get an ID on her, I'm thinking mactans. She was also caught in Houston, Texas.
L. mactans and L. hesperus both occur in Texas, and I'm not sure it's possible to distinguish between the two from this image.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
L. mactans and L. hesperus both occur in Texas, and I'm not sure it's possible to distinguish between the two from this image.
I'll try to get a better picture later but she attached her web to the top of the container and wedged herself in a corner. I'm hoping she'll move a bit so I can take off the lid soon and get some clear pictures.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Hopefully these pictures will be a little clearer. Shes been webbing and moving around a lot more. What do you guys feed your latrodectus? I think that my roaches are too large for her and going outside and catching mosquitoes to drop in the container wouldn't get her the most nutrition, and I would probably need multiple as they're about 80% wing. 20180327_202000.jpg 20180327_201944.jpg 20180327_201938.jpg

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Hopefully these pictures will be a little clearer. Shes been webbing and moving around a lot more.
I still wouldn't be comfortable trying to distinguish between Latrodectus mactans and Latrodectus hesperus from these images. However, it really doesn't matter as far as care is concerned (just breeding).

You might be able to get a more specific ID on BugGuide, but sometimes they just categorize them as Latrodectus where the range overlaps.

What do you guys feed your latrodectus? I think that my roaches are too large for her and going outside and catching mosquitoes to drop in the container wouldn't get her the most nutrition, and I would probably need multiple as they're about 80% wing.
I have not kept these for longer than a few days (as a child). However, I don't think they are picky eaters. Try to offer prey that is the size of the abdomen or smaller, ideally things that are not wild-caught (as they may be exposed to pesticides or carry parasites).

Veigar

Arachnopeon
No idea what species this is, but she was an adult when this photo was taken:

Attachments

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Is Hesperus the only subspecies that can appear here? And yes, I caught it on my balcony when it was a ling.
Las Vegas is outside the range for L. mactans and is not included in the known established range for L. geometricus, so I would be pretty highly confident in it being L. hesperus. As far as I know, they are the only established local species.

Veigar

Arachnopeon
Las Vegas is outside the range for L. mactans and is not included in the known established range for L. geometricus, so I would be pretty highly confident in it being L. hesperus. As far as I know, they are the only established local species.
Is L. Hesperus the only species that can survive out here? Or is it simply due to there not being any spiders introduced here? Say for example I put an egg sac of each Latrodectus and have them all hatch in different places along Vegas - would they all die out to the Hesperus' or would some be able to survive?

Also, I'll tell you, there have been some very funky looking Hesperus' out here. Kind of makes you wonder what/how they get different patterns despite being the exact same species and sub species.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Is L. Hesperus the only species that can survive out here? Or is it simply due to there not being any spiders introduced here? Say for example I put an egg sac of each Latrodectus and have them all hatch in different places along Vegas - would they all die out to the Hesperus' or would some be able to survive?

Also, I'll tell you, there have been some very funky looking Hesperus' out here. Kind of makes you wonder what/how they get different patterns despite being the exact same species and sub species.
I think it's just a limitation of range due to how well a species is able to disperse from where they hatch. I have no doubt that any Latrodectus species would thrive in Las Vegas, but they may be out-competed by the already established populations if they were introduced in a limited manner. In the wild, spider sacs do not yield many adult individuals -- most die before they reach breeding age.

Veigar

Arachnopeon
Here's two juveniles I have, both are Hesperus (at least I'm 99% sure)

#1 - With her food. This specific one looks quite normal.

#2 - Recently acquired this one. Her legs look exactly like a Brown Widow's but I'm still fairly positive she's a Hesperus. Kind of strange how they look so different. They're both the exact same size as well.

Dunno why pics are sideways, just open them in a new tab.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
The second one is sub-adult. She may be mature and full grown in size, but she should get her black appearance in a moult or two.

RebelWolf

Arachnosquire
Here's two juveniles I have, both are Hesperus (at least I'm 99% sure)

#1 - With her food. This specific one looks quite normal.

#2 - Recently acquired this one. Her legs look exactly like a Brown Widow's but I'm still fairly positive she's a Hesperus. Kind of strange how they look so different. They're both the exact same size as well.

Dunno why pics are sideways, just open them in a new tab.
Beautiful, just beautiful. L. Hesperus are a favorite and they make good pets. I love pic number one the most