1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Latrodectus (Theridiidae) Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by Kugellager, Jan 19, 2003.

1. JPD

JPD Arachnobaron Old Timer

Advertisement
    Here are a couple of pics of one of my L.tredecimguttatus females. I have an all black specimen on the previous post and this represents my more colorful variety.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. joe8421

joe8421 Arachnosquire Old Timer

lol
    so dangeruous one!!!!
    but....... nice looking

3. Sheri

Sheri Arachnoking

JPD, those pics with the shadow in the background are tremendous!

Anyone else find the black (as in the widows that have black coloration as opposed to the other varities) widows incredibly hard to photograph with any success?

4. JPD

Thanks Sheri.

Sometimes they can be tricky. Usually, I take a whole buttload of photographs and get one or two worth keeping.

5. JPD

Here are a few more.

L.tredecimguttatus
    [​IMG]

L.curacaviensis
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

May have posted this L.mactans shot already but I like it alot so here it is again!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  6. JPD

Oh and another L.pallidus....
    [​IMG]

7. Bastian Drolshagen

Bastian Drolshagen Arachnobaron Old Timer

Latrodectus tredecimguttatus

Attached Files:

8. RaZeDaHeLL666

RaZeDaHeLL666 Arachnodemon Old Timer

These are my three female L. hesperus
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. David_F

David_F Arachnoprince Old Timer

L. hesperus taking care of a cricket

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  10. pwilfort

pwilfort Arachnosquire Old Timer

USA
    What kind is the California widow? I got bite 3 weeks ago by one and still have the brusing from it, i'm over all the pain and sickness from it. This is my 2nd time I been bite by these. I better not say where this one got me! LOL the first one got me on my hand but not this one. Of all the places it had to bite me there. !Let's just say the chest area!{D
    Penney

11. P. Novak

P. Novak ArachnoGod Old Timer

Oh wow, David F can i see that enlcosure? Looks like your keeping it in a tank or something, different from the Regular Enclosures.

Also is this statement true..... "Only the female Black Widow is venomous; males and juveniles are harmless.." ? I found it on here http://www.desertusa.com/july97/du_bwindow.html

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  12. David_F

I don't have any pics of the whole enclosure. Nothing too impressive, really. It's just a 2.5 gallon aquarium with a bit of peat moss/sand substrate and a piece of grapevine. Probably a bit too big for one widow. I know it's a pain in the butt to get in to feed her. :)

As far as I know that's true. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will answer.

13. P. Novak

Oh alright, thanks! I finally caught a big female widow today!! =D im wondering what you guys feed it, since it hangs off the web, will it be able to catch the crix?

14. David_F

Yeah, it will have no trouble taking crickets. It's pretty fun to watch them catch bugs so just throw in a live cricket and enjoy the show. :)

15. P. Novak

THANKS DAVID F!

Are these Juvi L.hesperus? Do juvie L.hesperus have the hourglass mark? Im thinking they dont.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. David_F

Not sure what those are but I don't think they're L. hesperus. Juvenile widows have an hourglass marking it's just not as well defined as on adults. The coloration on small widows is also a lot different from the spiders in your pics.

17. surena

surena Arachnobaron Old Timer

Juvie L. hesperus have the hourglass. The spider in that picture does not look like a L. hesperus. Females only have the hourglass marking and are solid black, unlike L. mactans, that has the dotted spots.

18. Venom

Venom Arachnoprince Old Timer

Demonhunter....those look very much like Steatoda to me. I really don't believe those are any species of Latrodectus.

19. MizM

MizM Arachnoprincess Old Timer

Pen, we have both hesperus AND mactans here. I have a VERY difficult time telling them apart though. I'm sure the bite of both would give the same reaction. Unfortunately, in CA, if they are black and shiny, they are referred to as "black widows."

20. surena

surena Arachnobaron Old Timer

The California widow would be L.hesperus.

Here are some pictures of both species (males and females) that I hope will clarify confusion. I also want to point something out between the two species. The L. mactans will play "dead" when felt threaten, whereas the L. hesperus don’t!
    I have not read anywhere about this kind of behavior, and it is something that I have noticed.

The first two pictures are of a female L. mactan. You can see one the hourglass and at least one of the red dots. L. hesperus females don't have the red dot

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The picture below is a picture of mature male L. mactans. You can still see the "dot" markings

[​IMG]

The picture below is a picture of a female L. hesperus as you can see solid black

[​IMG]

And at last the two pictures below are of a mature male L. hesperus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.