Latrodectus (Theridiidae) Picture Thread

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I took some images of the immature L. variolus I found a few days ago. And yes she is sitting on a groundhog jawbone. I happen to find it when I found her and she has seemingly adopted it as a perch. :p

Leeway337

Arachnopeon
I live in Central California and the only widow we have is L Hesperus. All the ones I find look a lot different from the ones in these pics. I have never seen a Hesperus without a full hourglass. Also the markings that are on the backs of these I have never seen on a Hesperus at any stage.

The ones in these pics I think is Variolus or Mactans.

didn't realize this was so old and had 40+ pages. This was in reference to the first set of pics starting the thread. oh well...

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
many hesperus will have a partial or separated hourglass. heck, some will even have little or no hourglass at all!

juvenile hesperus will also very oftentimes exhibit strong dorsal markings and coloration. hesperus markings (patterns) look a bit different than variolus.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
old image, but this one was collected south of los angeles. ...a distant speck of red, but pretty much no glass at all...

a couple hesp from the great state of Texas ...adults but retaining dorsal markings...

...dead...but still so pretty...

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anyone know where there are black widows near the bay area? I have a couple females I've had for over a year and want to try to find a mate.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
went to a 'bug' peoples gathering with some spiders to 'demo' a few years ago...and decided to pull out one of of the reds i had and talk about its niche and whatnot while it crawled around my hand/arm. They mostly never bite...so what the hell ...pretty as fck and some attention grabbing showmanship. eh!?? Thing suddenly decided to let go of all, ball up and drop. I was on my knees...so it only probably dropped a few ft at best ...died a couple hrs later. Most likely from internal injury in abdomen.
FUNNY.. cause i joked that I could have killed her from a little thump like that ..put her back in her cup ...thinkn ...hmmm ...i wonder if i f'up?!
Careful ...they be fragile ;)

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Its a freak thing but happens. I drop my true spiders all the time from standing distance (so about 3-5 foot fall) and I've never seen a spider die due to it. A friend of mine on the other hand, has her spiders die all the time from drops while handling. Weird stuff!

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Love the colors on her! Are they hard to keep?
Not at all. I keep them just like I keep my others. Mostly dry and well fed. Weekly misting. If their abdomens look plump, shiny and healthy I think they're doing good. I bought two of these for 10 bucks each! Great deal, they usually go for like 30+ bucks, from this guy on another forum. A friend of mine found the guy. I have to look up in my charts but I think only one of them molted once. It's been long enough so I'm pretty sure the other one isn't going to molt and is an adult.

I keep them in mini KKs like my other widows. They eventually build the same exact type of webs. The reds tend to be a little less aggressive when feeding than the mactans are.

Salticstance

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Red widow in natural habitat

This is a picture that I took ten years ago, but I thought it was worth sharing again. It's a red widow with her eggsac in a scrub oak habitat.

redwidow.jpg

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Beautiful! These widows look great! I'm going to have wander a couple hours south and see if I can get a few this year ;)