Arachnolord
Old Timer
Here's Big Fatty Grossa:

Zoom:

Found in LA (Lower Alabama! :D)

Tuishimi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, we have black widows all around our house here in the North Valley of Phoenix. I don't know much about them, but they really mind their own business and tend to stay out of the way. I have chased off a female or two that were too close to where traffic was (I mean our porch/walkway to our front door). They just ball up, drop out of their webs and then run when they hit the ground. Poor things. I also remove any on the kids' swingset, etc.

Last year we had spiderlings floating all across our yard, catching on everything. :) They sure looked widow-like, even at that size.

Tuishimi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here is a shot...

...of a female hanging in a web against our wall.

blackbird939

Arachnopeon
Tuishimi, care to send a few of your L Hesperus out to Fla? I'd trade you for a couple of Geos....

Tuishimi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ha ha! No thank you! I don't want to keep widows. :D

I have no idea how one would go about shipping a black widow, if it is legal. :)

tom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
latrodectus geometricus reduction

I am opposed to any destruction of latrodectus as even though this species is prolific in its ability to settle anywhere even New York park bench!This onefemale specimen was captured and remained alive for ayear and later after it"s death, was placed in the American Museumof Natural History permanent spider collection.
Geometricus have like Loxosceles spp.become more visible,even in Savan,Beaufort South Carolina Savannah, Georgia.I guess I cannot see why to kill it just because it does so well. Cheers,Tom