Latrodectus from New Zealand

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was just curious if any of the widow fanatics out there in the U.S. had any of the species of Latrodectus from New Zealand, L. katipo or L. atritus? Was just curious if they had made their way into the US, have searched boards but not seen anyone who actually has them here. ( or even the redback from Aussie).

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, first off L. katipo and L. atritus are both endangered. Or at least very close to it. Habitat destruction is a big issue with these. That explains why they arent in the hobby and probably will not be in it.

As for the redbacks (L. hasselti) those dont seem to have reached the US or Europe yet either.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks. I was unaware of the status of them in New Zealand.

El Johano

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, first off L. katipo and L. atritus are both endangered. Or at least very close to it. Habitat destruction is a big issue with these. That explains why they arent in the hobby and probably will not be in it.

As for the redbacks (L. hasselti) those dont seem to have reached the US or Europe yet either.

L. hasselti are common in Europe, I've also seen L. katipo for sale but that was a while ago.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah, well I stand corrected on the count of L. hasselti. Sorry for any confusion I have caused.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Katipo is a Māori name and means "night-stinger". :razz:

This may be a "urban spider myth" but its something ive been trying to find more info on for a while now. Ya know...I SWEAR I found a reference to an actual city/area where they have SUPPOSABLY been spotted. ...and I HAD that link ...now lost. :roll: Would love any info from anyone thats got it. ;)
The Katipo Spider has also been sighted in parts of California.
There are a few "sources" saying this ...but nothing but nothin' when it comes to real info.
(1 such source)

hopeful news especially if you like spider collecting in the buff...

Nudists urged to take care as katipo thrive at beach

Unlike many other beaches, Uretiti's sand dunes were largely intact and grasses such as pingao and spinifex grew on the dunes which were ideal for katipo to build insect-snaring webs on.
And also ideal for hiding from other nudists! :D So... this adds weight to my theory that nudists are actually beneficial to spiders.