Latex paint?

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All my animals (inverts and verts) are out of the house because I just got hardwood flooring and the fixer they used is noxious. I was going to move them back in, but now my parents are going to paint the inside of the house. The paint they will be using is latex, and does not have much of a smell. I was wondering if this would harm my babies or not. It would be allot easier bringing them back, but if it's a hazard to their health I wouldnt dream of it. Just let me know what you guy's think :D

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All my animals (inverts and verts) are out of the house because I just got hardwood flooring and the fixer they used is noxious. I was going to move them back in, but now my parents are going to paint the inside of the house. The paint they will be using is latex, and does not have much of a smell. I was wondering if this would harm my babies or not. It would be allot easier bringing them back, but if it's a hazard to their health I wouldnt dream of it. Just let me know what you guy's think :D
I have painted stuff near the inverts at work and had no ill effects. that being said you may just wanna wait 24 hours after painting just to be safe.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i think the same. it depends on the latex paint, but i have used latex paint IN some t tanks. however, i let it dry out for a week before reintroducing them, so i'd wait longer than 24 hours, just to be on the safe side.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
VOC's

Might check the paint, or w/ the manufacturer, many of the latex paints that are available now are what are known as "Low VOC" formulations, meaning that they have reduced levels of volatile organic compounds. Many of these paints are very low toxicity, and I've successfully used them near fish and inverts that were difficult to move out of the room. Kind of hard to dismantle a huge aquarium for 24 hours to paint the room! If you can, I think it's always better to remove inverts for a while- 24 hours is plenty with most latex paints. You were absolutely right to remove them during the floor refinishing. If you do have to move them in before painting, ventilation is the key.

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's warm here now so I can keep my window open and I have an air filter I can put in my room. Would that be enough? Oh and by the way, theres not going to be any painting in my room (which is where all my herps and inverts are) and my door will be closed.