Lasiodora surprise

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
randolph20 said:
interesting, will it double the size up every molt or triple?
They dont double each molt, the growth speed wears off gradually. If its a male it will be adult in a 1,5 year or so.

/Lelle

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
that is interesting...and awsome that the T survived that long without the proper conditions and all....congrats :clap:

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What was the general appearance of the sling when it was first found? Was its abdomen quite small? Did its exoskeleton appear somewhat worn? Since it survived for so long, I'm assuming that cooler temperatures and lack of food made it go more or less dormant for long periods but I'm wondering if there's a limit on how long they can do that.

Karen N.

Sandra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, incredible story, thanks for sharing it. It will be very interesting to see its development over the next few months or years.

Dragoon

ArachnoGoon
Old Timer
hahaha, what a funny argument here.
Lelle will probably be offended at me too, because the first thing I thought when reading this, is "Wow! I want to see it!"
yeah, yeah, even if its a regular ol' parahybana. Humans are visual creatures. We really like to see things ourselves. No offense intended.
Really neat story.
D.

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Lelle,
Thats a strange one indeed,:) Cool story though!
Did this wee fellow have a rug sack with him.LOL

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ultimate Instar said:
What was the general appearance of the sling when it was first found? Was its abdomen quite small? Did its exoskeleton appear somewhat worn? Since it survived for so long, I'm assuming that cooler temperatures and lack of food made it go more or less dormant for long periods but I'm wondering if there's a limit on how long they can do that.

Karen N.
I didnt see any exuvia there, they probably been flushed away. The spiders abdomen was very skinny when i got it and it didnt look too good to say the least. But it seems to recover well after the circumstances.

Dragoon, no offense taken. Ill try to get hold of a camera and post a few pix of the WC (!) spider...

/Lelle

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That is an amazing story!

I hope everything continues to turn out well!

Bearo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:eek:
this is really weird... what did it eat? we dont have roaches and so on in sweden.. only thing i could think of is those "silverfisk" and maby ants, but in the winter time there would be near nothing to eat..
it would be fun if your friend is just pulling your leg but i doubt it..

How is it doing now?

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bearo said:
:eek:
this is really weird... what did it eat? we dont have roaches and so on in sweden.. only thing i could think of is those "silverfisk" and maby ants, but in the winter time there would be near nothing to eat..
it would be fun if your friend is just pulling your leg but i doubt it..

How is it doing now?
Probably ate smaller spiders, silverfish and what ever it could find. Also a possibility that it spend its time somewhere else in the apartment and could get flies etc summertime, and wondered off one night into the bathroom.
No, he wouldnt pull my leg like this, he would tell me. I trust his word.
It doing just fine now. Eating like normal and no problems when molting.

/Lelle

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
Heres a picture of it, after 3 molts:

/Lelle
You have far more experience in this hobby than me. I have raised a few from slings and bred them once. I have about 15 of this species right now. It might be the pic but I don't think that is a L.parahybana. Maybe B.albopilosum.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That does not look like a Brachypelma at all to me...

I'm pretty sure that if Lelle says its a L. parahybana we can trust his word. ;)

I also thought it did look slightly different than those that I have reared... if anything, the abdomen looks just a bit off. Though now it could just be my imagination from looking at it so much... but if there are any subtle difference I am curious as to whether it could be attributed to the prolonged period without food.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
where's the beef, er pics?

edit: nm...my gf changed my download options in firefox to only dl images from the originating site :( i see it now :) looks healthy...fat lil rump, mine's still pink

Last edited:

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As far as i know its a LP :)
Dave, please tell me why you think its a albo.

/Lelle

Last edited:

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
RazorRipley said:
is that a difficilus?
Mine got huge in just a few molts.
No its parahybana. "Huge" is a relative term wouldnt you say?
Maybe read the thread before reply yes?

/Lelle

Last edited:

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sheri said:
That does not look like a Brachypelma at all to me...

I'm pretty sure that if Lelle says its a L. parahybana we can trust his word. ;)

I also thought it did look slightly different than those that I have reared... if anything, the abdomen looks just a bit off. Though now it could just be my imagination from looking at it so much... but if there are any subtle difference I am curious as to whether it could be attributed to the prolonged period without food.
Difference how? You hardly see your slings in this size right? Offcourse a small sling looks different in scale 1:1

/Lelle

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
Difference how? You hardly see your slings in this size right? Offcourse a small sling looks different in scale 1:1

/Lelle

I've kept this species from 2 cms to mature.

What looks to me a little off was the abdomen shape, though perhaps I am analyzing it too closely after reading some of the comments.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks a bit small but its just stepped out of the old skin and havent started eating yet

/Lelle