Lasiodora parahybana tips?

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
I'm getting one of these tomorrow! Anyway, I was wondering if you all could give me some tips...
are their hairs as nasty as the blondi?
have you handled them?
do they need the high humidity like the blondi?

Thanks!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Originally posted by Inktomi
I'm getting one of these tomorrow! Anyway, I was wondering if you all could give me some tips...
are their hairs as nasty as the blondi? don't know, don't have T blondi, but they are very nasty. I usually have to take a shower after handling mine
have you handled them? see above LOL... yes, I handle mine, but very rarely. I've found all 3 of mine to be nervous, but not inclined to bite, though they will flick hairs like mad
do they need the high humidity like the blondi? I keep all of mine on dry peat/verm mix, with a large water bowl. No humidity issues AFAIK. But I'm one of those people that pay no attention whatsoever to humidity anyway!

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As a general rule, I don't handle anything intentionally, so I can't really comment on that or the hairs.

I don't maintain as high a humidity as with my blondi, but I do keep the area around the water dish damp. My largest L. parahybana doesn't hang in that area, so I don't feel it is that big of an issue for this species.

They will readily eat most anytime you offer food and grow fairly quickly.

Botar

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My parahybana is about 9" and she is not aggressive, she does however have the hair kicking problem. To tell you the truth, from my experience the parahybana hair makes me itch more than my blondi's. Overall, the parahybana is a great species to have, mine is out in the open most of the time and eats like a pig.

Andy

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
The para I have is totally bald, and I got her that way. She still makes the motions, and occasionally I get a bit of an itch out of her, but she doesn't rear up at me, and has been handled twice.

I'm with Holley on the humidity issue.. nice sized shallow water dish should be all you need.

Bill