Lasiodora parahybana (Salmon pink birdeater) requirements

AwkwardLettuce

Arachnopeon
I'm getting a new L. parahybana on Tuesday, and I'm getting her home ready. I've tried to do some research and I'm coming up with all sorts of varying answers about care. So my main questions are:

1. Does she need a heating pad? Our apartment runs 73-75F.

2. Do I need to monitor the humidity? Like get a hygrometer. If so, what range should I keep the terrarium at?

Any other advice you have is welcome. I did research, but, like I said, answers varied quite a bit. I'm deciding between a 36×18×18 and 37×19×13 enclosure, leaning toward the latter.

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
1. No absolutely not, no tarantula realistically NEEDS supplemental heat, nature is far more variable than domestic modern homes are.
2. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Your getting various **Incorrect** answers because you are getting information from bot parroted info on the web. Get your theraphosid information here on AB that is the point of AB!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm getting a new L. parahybana on Tuesday, and I'm getting her home ready. I've tried to do some research and I'm coming up with all sorts of varying answers about care. So my main questions are:

2. Do I need to monitor the humidity? Like get a hygrometer. If so, what range should I keep the terrarium at?

Any other advice you have is welcome. I did research, but, like I said, answers varied quite a bit. I'm deciding between a 36×18×18 and 37×19×13 enclosure, leaning toward the latter.
No
No

Advice- read the forum this species is kept by millions. Not all methods are right or wrong.

Your getting various **Incorrect** answers because you are getting information from bot parroted info on the web. Get your theraphosid information here on AB that is the point of AB!!
I concur.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I've tried to do some research and I'm coming up with all sorts of varying answers about care.
It is always helpful to let us know what you’ve researched, and what you’ve learned from the research.

Does she need a heating pad? Our apartment runs 73-75F.
Do I need to monitor the humidity? Like get a hygrometer. If so, what range should I keep the terrarium at?
No, to both questions.

Please take your time and read the below helpful basic, yet very important posts for your new upcoming tarantula.

Any other advice you have is welcome. I did research, but, like I said, answers varied quite a bit.
Please take your time and read the above helpful posts for your new upcoming tarantula.

I'm deciding between a 36×18×18 and 37×19×13 enclosure, leaning toward the latter.
To answer this, you must let us know what is the size of the tarantula you’ve ordered. The enclosure size should be factored by the size of the tarantula.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It is always helpful to let us know what you’ve researched, and what you’ve learned from the research.

No, to both questions.

Please take your time and read the below helpful basic, yet very important posts for your new upcoming tarantula.

Please take your time and read the above helpful posts for your new upcoming tarantula.

To answer this, you must let us know what is the size of the tarantula you’ve ordered. The enclosure size should be factored by the size of the tarantula.
Excellent common sense, esp on the last re size. So many people have no idea how to ask a question.

AwkwardLettuce

Arachnopeon

No, to both questions.

I've researched the same questions I'm asking, sorry that was unclear.

I didn't see anything in there specifically about this species.

I'm not positive on the size. She looks about 8-9", but hasn't been measured. I didn't order her. I'm adopting her from an animal rescue. The owner of the rescue told me I'll need a heating mat and that a 10 gallon aquarium will be sufficient. I think she's in a 5 gallon right now. I've seen that terrariums should be 2x legspan by 3x legspan.

Basically on everything I've looked up - temperature, humidity, enclosure - I found conflicting answers.

1. No absolutely not, no tarantula realistically NEEDS supplemental heat, nature is far more variable than domestic modern homes are.
2. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Thank you. I'd like to get my info from here, but people are usually mean when I ask. This was my last option, because I hate asking questions here. It's very discouraging when people are just mean for no reason. When I searched her genus and species I didn't have any luck, so I made my own post.

Mustafa67

Arachnopeon

Here you go

“Lasiodora parahybana care site:arachnoboards.com”

copy and paste that into Google. You’ll get a TON of results

1. No
2. No
3. Read the forums, esp the beginner guide

Dorifto

He who moists xD
1 No.

2 Not required. Used correctly they are helpful, but most of new keepers tend to ignore other parameters to achieve certain RH numbers, which it is a total mistake. If you want to use one, then get a good digital one, but solely to have a glimpse of the conditions inside, not to base your husbandry on it.

To keep the correct conditions just use a good soil (topsoil) and let the substrate dry between overflowings or mistings/watering, as simple as that.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I've researched the same questions I'm asking, sorry that was unclear.

I didn't see anything in there specifically about this species.

I'm not positive on the size. She looks about 8-9", but hasn't been measured. I didn't order her. I'm adopting her from an animal rescue. The owner of the rescue told me I'll need a heating mat and that a 10 gallon aquarium will be sufficient. I think she's in a 5 gallon right now. I've seen that terrariums should be 2x legspan by 3x legspan.

Basically on everything I've looked up - temperature, humidity, enclosure - I found conflicting answers.
I house most of mine in 10 gallons. How do I find rescues ?

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Thank you. I'd like to get my info from here, but people are usually mean when I ask. This was my last option, because I hate asking questions here. It's very discouraging when people are just mean for no reason. When I searched her genus and species I didn't have any luck, so I made my own post.
sad to hear you made bad experiences

i think what people mean is that you could probably find answers to almost every question you may have on AB using the search function, because most of them have already been answered a few douzend times

i'd also recommend Tom Morans podcast on spotify, there is lots of information packed into audible soundbites to different topics, some are specifically Quizes to test your knowlege-base on some of the topics beginners really should know

once you have the basics down you can always deviate from them, but do so with specific reasons behind it.

you will also feel much more confident asking questions

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
LPs are one of the more popular Ts on here. I'm surprised you weren't able to find the info you were looking for.
You should see how many tabs I have open when searching for a question on here lol sooo much knowledge- for free! But I do understand having a specific question. Tbh, sometimes I feel like I shouldn't post a thread with my question as I fear that it'll not get looked at or someone will just refer me elsewhere to threads I've already studied. However, every thread I've created actually was a positive experience. So stick around!

AwkwardLettuce

Arachnopeon
She should find a new business because that is absolutely false!
In their defense, they explicitly told me they're not a spider person and it was a different employee who wasn't there. That employee may have told him wrong. He should probably be familiar with all the animals they have, yeah. He's great with the fish we get.

sad to hear you made bad experiences

i think what people mean is that you could probably find answers to almost every question you may have on AB using the search function, because most of them have already been answered a few douzend times

i'd also recommend Tom Morans podcast on spotify, there is lots of information packed into audible soundbites to different topics, some are specifically Quizes to test your knowlege-base on some of the topics beginners really should know

once you have the basics down you can always deviate from them, but do so with specific reasons behind it.

you will also feel much more confident asking questions
See, I tried the search function and I didn't have any luck. I'm not sure if I just didn't search the right keywords or didn't look far enough into the results. I genuinely tried before asking, though. Someone gave me a phrase to search in Google and that helped A LOT.

I understand people going oh I should have searched, but I did. And they could have just scrolled past and not said anything. My post didn't require them to answer.

LPs are one of the more popular Ts on here. I'm surprised you weren't able to find the info you were looking for.
You should see how many tabs I have open when searching for a question on here lol sooo much knowledge- for free! But I do understand having a specific question. Tbh, sometimes I feel like I shouldn't post a thread with my question as I fear that it'll not get looked at or someone will just refer me elsewhere to threads I've already studied. However, every thread I've created actually was a positive experience. So stick around!
Thanks! I'm thinking maybe the keywords I used were not the right ones. Like I used "requirements" instead of "care," and when I searched a key phrase and "care" on Google I got a ton of threads. I also wanted specifics for L. parahybana, so the general beginner threads didn't have that.

I house most of mine in 10 gallons. How do I find rescues ?
I'm in the US. I've gotten my tarantulas from local animal rescues that take in a variety of animals versus the Humane Society. I do think the Humane Society does take in tarantulas occasionally. They'll have a limited offering, though. I picked my first one because of her personality and second because of her personality and how fuzzy she is. I wasn't looking for anything in particular outside of New World. I know the Scaled Up Reptile Expo has spiders, but I don't know if their rescues or from breeders.

Here you go

“Lasiodora parahybana care site:arachnoboards.com”

copy and paste that into Google. You’ll get a TON of results

1. No
2. No
3. Read the forums, esp the beginner guide
Thank you! That was really helpful. I tried searching but didn't have any luck. I think I might have used less helpful keywords.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
In their defense, they explicitly told me they're not a spider person and it was a different employee who wasn't there. That employee may have told him wrong. He should probably be familiar with all the animals they have, yeah. He's great with the fish we get.
Ahhh I see, its just rescues should at least be more informed that the place it is as rescued from in my eyes

AwkwardLettuce

Arachnopeon
Ahhh I see, its just rescues should at least be more informed that the place it is as rescued from in my eyes
Yeah, I understand. My first tarantula the worker at the rescue told me she'd molted a few weeks ago. Well, she molted several days after I got her. She was an adult, so I knew she shouldn't be molting so close together. I'd never seen a molt, so I couldn't confirm that's what was happening. I was horrified. I thought she was sick. I contacted the owner of the rescue and she told me she hadn't molted in a while, so then we knew that's what was happening. But if the worker had just known that I wouldn't have panicked.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, I understand. My first tarantula the worker at the rescue told me she'd molted a few weeks ago. Well, she molted several days after I got her. She was an adult, so I knew she shouldn't be molting so close together. I'd never seen a molt, so I couldn't confirm that's what was happening. I was horrified. I thought she was sick. I contacted the owner of the rescue and she told me she hadn't molted in a while, so then we knew that's what was happening. But if the worker had just known that I wouldn't have panicked.
This sounds pretty standard for anyone who doesn't personally keep spiders, they usually tell customers all sorts of odd things if it helps them get rid of it! Hopefully you feel better about it in your care and easy worrying!

AwkwardLettuce

Arachnopeon
This sounds pretty standard for anyone who doesn't personally keep spiders, they usually tell customers all sorts of odd things if it helps them get rid of it! Hopefully you feel better about it in your care and easy worrying!
I don't think he was trying to get rid of her, but I do think he was misinformed by their spider person. I don't know his background/credentials. I'm sure other places try to get out animals as quickly as possible. We actually adopted a cat that we were told had a simple viral infection and then she died several days later of likely FIP. Then the shelter denied ever adopting out a sick cat. People like that are just in it for the money. This owner seems to like the animals and he does activism to prevent fish from being released into the wild. So I think it's just being misinformed this time.

I do feel better after some comments here. I have her home and in her enclosure.

The rescue had also gotten a Phiddipus regius female in the day we picked up my L. parahybana. We went home, but then my husband wanted to go back for her. I'd researched them previously, but I was able to double check everything properly this time because I definitely was not searching right before.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel

I'm sorry to hear that you were worried about asking a question on AB due to mean replies.

I can tell you this, at least you didn't roll in here with photos of you handling an OW T so you're good 🤣

Lp's are pretty straight forward. I have to admit I do find them fascinating. Just recently I finally seen one in person at the exotic store where I get supplies. That one was around the 7 inch dls mark, could of been 8. All I know it was massive and very active. I wanted that Lp but would never buy it from them.

Animal rescue like in animal shelter?? If that's the case majority of those places really only know dogs and cats and maybe some other animals but I'm yet to hear of one that knows anything on arachnids.

It's a good thing you are rescuing that T from them. 8 to 9 inch T is a massive tarantula.

I wish you the best in caring for this Lp and yes.....I'm envious.