Lasiodora parahybana Not Eating

krsears

Arachnopeon
I'm new to the hobby and I'm looking for some advice. I got my 1"+ LP about a month ago. I have a Grammostola Pulchripes who will devour pinhead roaches every 3 days but when I offered one to the LP, it ran away like it was scared. I took out the roach and tried again every 2 days and the same result. After about 2 weeks of this, I noticed a dark and balding patch on the abdomen. Thinking it was about to molt, I kept food from the T and waited. Sure enough, it molted in 3 days. I waited for about a week for the translucence to go away and the fangs to harden. I then began to offer a pinhead and the same result. After the molt, the LP grew about a 1/4" in size so at a total of about 1.5" I think it's large enough to chomp down on a 1/4" pinhead roach. What should I do. Should I get something smaller or different altogether? I know there are stories that Ts can go for a long a duration without eating but it's been 6 weeks and what I've read about LPs, they almost never refuse food. I am concerned. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
What do you suggest? I'm afraid a kicking cricket might do damage.
As long as the cricket isn't bigger than the T, you really have no worries. You can remove the crickets rear legs though if you'd like too.

As for the size of prey, I usually shoot for something about 1/3 the size of the sling. Anything the size of it's abdomen or slightly bigger will do though.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
You may also have a nervous eater. Try just dropping the prey in, and leaving it for a while. If it's still not ate after 24 hours, remove it and try again in a few days.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Try a pre killed cricket or roach. Just smush the head and pierce the body so that some internal fluids are leaking out and leave it in the enclosure over night.. Some slings are scared of there prey and prefer to feed by scavenging..

krsears

Arachnopeon
Thank so much for the advice. I dropped in a pre-kill cricket and after 2 days, there was nothing left but the hind legs and her abdomen was considerably larger. You guys are awesome. Thanks again!