lasiodora parahybana handling question

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ok i got 3 salmon pinks, and 2 are 3", and 1 is 6"...well i am debating on handling my 6 incher....she seems really calm, except for when i hold a roach in front of her with my tongs...shes a veracious eater....but i just wondered if anyone else handles these? and she seems as docile as my g. rosea....

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
apart from the can of worms a handling debate will become, i would not do it due to their urticating hairs being some of the worst to only Theraposa, if i remember correctly.

people's reactions may vary, but consensus is LPs are still very itchy.

web eviction

Arachnolord
Not handled one yet but plan to when I get some, I handle my pokie and my L. Violaceopes and as of this morning lol (not by choice mind you) my obt...

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah i thought about that cause the hairs....but she doesnt kick at all...only seems like my smaller ones do...im still leening towards not holding her at all...out of all my T's i will only hold my A. avic slings....other than that i dont touch any of them....not like they are dieing for my attention anyways...i dont even hold my rosie...mainly cause i look at all the other T's in the room, and some of them are super aggressive, ccobalt blue, MM costa rican zebra mainly, and they just kinda make me think twice before holding any at all...

apart from the can of worms a handling debate will become, i would not do it due to their urticating hairs being some of the worst to only Theraposa, if i remember correctly.

people's reactions may vary, but consensus is LPs are still very itchy.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not handled one yet but plan to when I get some, I handle my pokie and my L. Violaceopes and as of this morning lol (not by choice mind you) my obt...
You will stop when you get a nice pokie bite. ;)

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah i thought about that cause the hairs....but she doesnt kick at all...only seems like my smaller ones do...im still leening towards not holding her at all...out of all my T's i will only hold my A. avic slings....other than that i dont touch any of them....not like they are dieing for my attention anyways...i dont even hold my rosie...mainly cause i look at all the other T's in the room, and some of them are super aggressive, ccobalt blue, MM costa rican zebra mainly, and they just kinda make me think twice before holding any at all...
they most certainly aren't, but what you do is your buisness. i assume you've ran a search on the risks of handling so you know what you are getting into.

i'm not a perfect keeper on this topic though... sometimes i feel the urge, so i make sure its one of my Brachypelma spp. i mess with. as soon as i get haired the discomforture reminds me these creatures aren't to be trifled with lightly! they are not like handleable pets and i believe contact should be kept to a minimum.

Last edited:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yea i am never gonna think about handling my obt's....

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

yeah pokie bites dont sound too good....

You will stop when you get a nice pokie bite. ;)

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

yeah ive done my research...like you i just feel the urge, cause she seems so docile...but i really doubt i ever would...crazy that these little inverts can mess you up...i have handled my white spot assassinlings, but only cause they crawled across my hand on accident...

they most certainly aren't, but what you do is your buisness. i assume you've ran a search on the risks of handling so you know what you are getting into.

i'm not a perfect keeper on this topic though... sometimes i feel the urge, so i make sure its one of my Brachypelma spp. i mess with. as soon as i get haired the discomforture reminds me these creatures aren't to be trifled with lightly! they are not like handleable pets and i believe contact should be kept to a minimum.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
...out of all my T's i will only hold my A. avic slings....
I held my versi sling a few times until it finally sunk in that he thinks he's Rocky the Flying Squirrel, so I stopped handling him altogether - then, a couple of months ago, I got an A avic juvenile, which I sort of had to handle to get him safely from the LPS enclosure into the little cardboard box. He didn't seem at all jumpy like Speedy did, so when I got him home I gave him another 'test handle,' and man, he crawled all over me - clearly less inclined to leap into the wild blue yonder than Speedy was - so Speedy can remain ensconced in his little world, and my avic Mister U (for "mysterieux," because he behaves so strangely) and I can do the Lambeth Walk together. :3:

...they just kinda make me think twice before holding any at all...
As you may have intuited, I'm a firm believer in handling, and I can tell that you want to become a handler too - my advice is to approach your Ts with confidence and patience - don't ever pick them up, let them be coaxed onto you. Don't give them a reason to flick or to bite, and they won't. If they reeeeeeely reeeeeely don't want to venture onto your pulsing flesh, you'll know, and you'll respect their wishes. My LP, for example, has made it imminently clear that he wants nothing to do with me - my GBB, by contrast, is as handleable as can be - which leads me to my next bit of advice - don't let the testiness of one T spoil your potential to get physical with another - they're all different. Jeez, am I sounding like a preacher, or what!

Buen suerte, as they say in the land of the LP!

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great post! I am not allergic to u hairs, and I enjoy handling my T's every once in awhile. Of course I don't have any aggressive ones yet, and when I get some I won't handle those lol.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Man he's leggy! I am kicking myself for not ordering an lp... Do the hairs bother you?

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
I handle my LP she is a sweetheart but im very sensitive to the hairs and their hairs are so radical that she never kicks but simply holding here gets me iching so only do it very seldom...but yea they r fine to hold even though every T is different

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
no i really dont wanna become a handler...i have handled my g rosea 2 times, and i know that i cam again...but i dont...only reason i can think of handling my big LP is too get some cool pics, but im afraid something would go wrong, and my reflexes would send her flying across the room or something....dont wanna hurt her...just really tempting to hold her cause she seems so docile....

I held my versi sling a few times until it finally sunk in that he thinks he's Rocky the Flying Squirrel, so I stopped handling him altogether - then, a couple of months ago, I got an A avic juvenile, which I sort of had to handle to get him safely from the LPS enclosure into the little cardboard box. He didn't seem at all jumpy like Speedy did, so when I got him home I gave him another 'test handle,' and man, he crawled all over me - clearly less inclined to leap into the wild blue yonder than Speedy was - so Speedy can remain ensconced in his little world, and my avic Mister U (for "mysterieux," because he behaves so strangely) and I can do the Lambeth Walk together. :3:

As you may have intuited, I'm a firm believer in handling, and I can tell that you want to become a handler too - my advice is to approach your Ts with confidence and patience - don't ever pick them up, let them be coaxed onto you. Don't give them a reason to flick or to bite, and they won't. If they reeeeeeely reeeeeely don't want to venture onto your pulsing flesh, you'll know, and you'll respect their wishes. My LP, for example, has made it imminently clear that he wants nothing to do with me - my GBB, by contrast, is as handleable as can be - which leads me to my next bit of advice - don't let the testiness of one T spoil your potential to get physical with another - they're all different. Jeez, am I sounding like a preacher, or what!

Buen suerte, as they say in the land of the LP!

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

yeah every T is diff..one of my 3 inchers just runs, the other one kicks like crazy when i even open her tub, and the big one will let me sit there and look at her all day and not care....

I handle my LP she is a sweetheart but im very sensitive to the hairs and their hairs are so radical that she never kicks but simply holding here gets me iching so only do it very seldom...but yea they r fine to hold even though every T is different

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
... im very sensitive to the hairs and their hairs are so radical that she never kicks but simply holding here gets me iching ... even though every T is different
... I am not allergic to u hairs ...
Thank you for reminding me of a cautionary tale regarding hairs, the moral of which I learned the hard way - after multiple instances of handling my Ts without a trace of itchiness, I was lulled into a false sense of invincibility - then my A genic came along, and my delusions of grandeur came to a very itchy end - and yes, it happened without a single hair being flicked - I had to face the grim reality that merely holding the genic spelled bad news ... but then you've got the guys like Terry D, who can wear his monster A genic like a glove with no ill effects (please see http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=197381 for vivid proof), likewise Deathcrew with his LP. It's enough to make a guy a little jealous! :(

The moral? Just because Tarantulas A, B, C, and D don't make you itch doesn't mean Tarantula E won't ... it's all a matter of trial-and-error, and who's allergic to what ... but I still very firmly feel that it's well-worth the effort, and the occasional itch, to find out! :D

p.s. The good news is that I can still go one-on-one itch-free with my other handleable Ts :D

Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have two LPs and one is extremely skittish and likes to flick hairs. I rehoused it yesterday and couldn't even pick it up. Not afraid of the hairs, they haven't bothered me yet, but it runs fast. On the other hand, my other LP "Monster" is a bit skittish, but rarely, if ever, flicks hairs. I've handled it numerous times and even took it to school for a presentation. A real gentle giant.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well i rehoused my 6" LP tonight, and decided i would get her to go onto my hand, then transfer her....well she was shy about coming out of her old house, i had to keep giving a nudge with a paintbrush...finally got her on my hand, and she acted perfect, just sat there....every once in a while she would pick up one of her legs then place it back down.....never kicked any hairs either, never showed her fangs or aggresion....although now my wrist itches a little...but itll be ok....i also decided since i was in the nerve to hold things, i got out one of my white spot assassins...only time its ever touched my hand, other than by accident...

Last edited:

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats! My A. Genic doesn't bother me, neither does my B. smithi or B. vagans. I wish I would have gotten an LP instead of a vagans.....*kicks myself*

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yea the red rumps are pretty plain...i only got one cause a buddy said B. vagans, and LP and all their accesories for $30....so i said the heck with it....might not be my fav T, but it adds more diversity....right now i ordered a H. gigas, and i am debating on my next T being a goliath birdeater....

Congrats! My A. Genic doesn't bother me, neither does my B. smithi or B. vagans. I wish I would have gotten an LP instead of a vagans.....*kicks myself*