Lasiodora cristata threat!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I just love my little psycho as well!
Here's my little nutcase with a mealworm!

Last edited:

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What a gorgeous spider. That spider has been on my wish list for quite some time. Thanks for sharing, Pam

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Psycho? Nutcase? How can you malign such a sweet-natured species? ;)

Joy

Last edited:

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Keep it up Joy and I'm changing your title to "Spider whisperer" :D The only person I've heard of having more success with handling "Defensive" species is Rosemary Kraft.

Scott

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Joy, that IS it..you are definately the spider whisperer LOL
Wow, maybe I'll get out my psycho nutcase and handle it....hahaahah
just kidding!
Actually, you know that I've found if you can get them out of their own territory, they are not quite so defensive. It's easier to evaluate the situation that way, and I've been able to handle some that I would not dared otherwise.
Remaining calm with no sudden movements also is a must.
Either that, or all your spiders are not characteristic of their species!

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have a large female(around 7") that can be handled.I also have a 4" female that puts on such an impressive display (rearing up and striking out with her legs) that I just let her be.Maybe Joy could "whisper" some manners into her.

Joy

Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
Keep it up Joy and I'm changing your title to "Spider whisperer" :D The only person I've heard of having more success with handling "Defensive" species is Rosemary Kraft.

Scott
I'm definitely not in the same class with Rosemary! She's one of my inspirations, however. I am hoping to get to Carlsbad this next June and watch her in action again.

Joy

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I am not under any circumstances missing it this year. Shasta from the ATS was showing us some cool video footage of Rosemary in action. I wouldn't short yourself though Joy, you have "the gift" based on some of your pics that I've seen. :)
Hope to see you in Carlsbad.

Atrax

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
she was so amazing I couldn't believe it.
In fact, just sitting there with her made me feel like I could do it too...(unfortunately, the feeling only lasted while I was sitting there LOL).
But I held her mature male P regalis, which I'd have NEVER done on my own. She inspires confidence, and CALMNESS, which are essential IMO, to handling.
She is also very adept at reading the body language. Her female C crayshawi was *very* cranky...she stuck at the paintbrush numerous times, however, somehow Rosemary was able to calm her down enough to come out, and sit on Rosemary's leg. I videoed it...it was just indescribable.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

great pics joy, atrax, and holley! joy you have held you T.blondi am i correct? and your usumbara, and an l.cristata! have you ever been bit?

James

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
most species can be done this way...

Even the more defensive species can usually be handled if you're calm enough to do it. The point made earlier about once they are out of their territory is a very good one. Pretty much even the bad boys if you will once you have them walking and not striking can be guided onto a hand as they seem to go from defensive mode to get away mode. No magic tricks involved at all just understanding what sets them off and not doing it. Joy happens to do this very well and yes I've seen pics of her holding her beast of a goliath. A feat I have yet to try with mine as the hairs just kill me. :) I have handled pokes and cobalts and numerous other defensive species with no problems and have seen Kelly handle nearly every species out there with no problem whatsoever. It all comes down to understanding the animals behavior. By the way cool pics guys.
Phil

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I have heard also that if you give the T a minute or two to take it's attitude out on the brush, it kind of gets it out of their system and they become a little easier to deal with. I haven't personally tested that out myself. That theory probably holds more water for a n/w T than for say a H. minax. :)
Personally, (and of course this is just my opinion, I do respect everyone else's view on this) I only handle the T's that will readily allow me to. I'm not really one to be tempted to handle a T who's initial message is clearly "Leave me alone!"
There have been exceptions to my rule though but it's when one of my more attitude laden T's runs up an arm, or over a hand etc..

Did anyone see Marguerite Schultz with her big Pamphobeteus (I think it was antinous) ? I saw some footage of her casually holding a big female and even turning it upside down in her hand and giving her a little kiss. Man, I was blown away!

Atrax

Joy

Old Timer
Re: hey

Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
great pics joy, atrax, and holley! joy you have held you T.blondi am i correct? and your usumbara, and an l.cristata! have you ever been bit?

James
No, never been bit as yet (knock on wood). I have handled all the species you mention, but the Usambara was a male. This is an important stipulation, as I've found males of that species much more tractable than the females. Also, they're more likely to come voluntarily out of their vivaria. That is important, too, as a lot of the more defensive species are burrowers/webbers and become understandedly upset if you destroy their home. It tends to start the relationship on the wrong foot, if you will ! ;) I would never destroy a spider's home just because I wanted to handle it. My interactions with the more defensive species tend to be limited to times when I am moving them from vivarium to vivarium, or when they signify a desire to come out by themselves.

I'm still working on singing them out of their burrows like Rosemary!

Joy

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As far as P. antinous go, the two I have had are/were entirely bark and no bite. I have yet to have one rear up at me. Occasionally the one I have now will kick hairs, but only if a molt is getting close and then again for a week or two after the molt. Once on my hand, she usually just sits there. This can be deceiving, though, as she can run like the wind if she feels like it, much more like a regalis or such than what you would expect from a typical 7 inch South American terrestrial. That said, the only problem I have holding her is her claws -- big spiders have pretty big claws and they can dig in quite a bit. It is not what I would call painful, but it can be uncomfortable.

I have never had a Lasiodora, save a tiny baby cristata that escaped and is either living under furniture or is deceased. I have noticed, though, that a lot of people categorize some similar genera, Acanthoscurria and Nhandu, as being aggressive, and I have had no cause to make that conclusion with the ones I've got.

And also of note regarding Pterinochilus males, I have a T that I believe to be P. chordatus. Because it seemed to keep a smaller abdomen no matter how much I fed it, I concluded it was probably an immature male. I have another that I know to be female that is typical of Pterrors and gets real cranky, real fast. The one I thought was male, however, has always been very gentle and docile. It molted about a month ago, and checking the exuvium I discovered it was a female. Well, I decided to see if its great personality had left with the old exo, but she still has the same nonchalant disposition. I figure it must just be 'one of those ones' that goes against the trend.

Adrian

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Just be careful with pokies...

I don't want to make this another handling debate (people can do what they like as long as they're careful and the tarantulas don't get harmed - so do it over carpet!)... But I do think whenever we discuss handling Poecilotheria, there ought to be a disclaimer. They're quite 'hot' and after some of the more recent bite accounts, I think it goes without saying that you're literally taking your life in your hands if you handle them.

Most aggressive/defensive tarantulas like blondi, murinus, crawshayi... These won't necessarily lay you flat for days with vomiting, dizziness, lateral systemic nervous reactions (cramping, fasciculations, spasms, weakness), passing out, etc. like Pokies can.

Anyway, just being Disclaimer Boy... :D

b