Lasidora Parahybana spiderling

tswizzzl

Arachnopeon
I recently bought a nice 1/2 inch LP spiderling from jamies tarantulas and i left a frozen thawed cricket (heard it was a more effective method of feeding for spiderlings) overnight and to my excitement i saw her eating it the morning after. I was so glad she started eating but when i got home she had finished the cricket which was about the size of her body (not including the legs) and her abdomen is nice and round compared to this morning. What does this mean? Just full? Pre molt ? And how often do i feed her and how long until shes a juvenile at least? Thank you

Attachments

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Well if she left only the legs she might just be full because usually Ts leave something called a bolus which is the remains in a ball shape.

Since she's a sling still you should try to feed her every day as much as she will eat.

Put a prekilled prey in there and leave it in there for 24hrs if she doesnt eat it you can remove it....I'm not sure if it should be refrozen.

Since you'll have a big T at an adult size I'd say a juvenile will be 2-3" someone will correct me on that also.

tswizzzl

Arachnopeon
Well if she left only the legs she might just be full because usually Ts leave something called a bolus which is the remains in a ball shape.

Since she's a sling still you should try to feed her every day as much as she will eat.

Put a prekilled prey in there and leave it in there for 24hrs if she doesnt eat it you can remove it....I'm not sure if it should be refrozen.

Since you'll have a big T at an adult size I'd say a juvenile will be 2-3" someone will correct me on that also.
She left something red and moist behind im pretty sure thats it

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
no need for frozen/ thawed. just crush the head. feed it 1- pretty much however often you want. just dont have food in there all the time. a water dish would be a good addition as well. tarantulas cant drown so no worry, it just helps keep the humidity up and provides a constant drinking source. my LP took about 2 years to reach 3", pretty slow for a tropical NW.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
no need for frozen/ thawed. just crush the head. feed it 1- pretty much however often you want. just dont have food in there all the time. a water dish would be a good addition as well. tarantulas cant drown so no worry, it just helps keep the humidity up and provides a constant drinking source. my LP took about 2 years to reach 3", pretty slow for a tropical NW.
That seems excessive. I thought LP's were known for their fast growth?

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
i dont agree with feeding every day as often as it will eat. that sounds like leaving food in there 24/7.
Slings are supposed to be fed as much as they can eat because its wired in them to reach the adult stage as fast as possible.

There's no such thing as over feeding a sling because you can't force them to eat so they'll only eat until full.

And "power feeding" isn't a relative term for Tarantula keeping.

However, once they get to a juvenile size or bigger a lot of people cut back on the amount of food giving.

tswizzzl

Arachnopeon
I was thinking about once or bi-weekly for feeding? Considering how her abdomen got fat after just one of those crickets

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
I was thinking about once or bi-weekly for feeding? Considering how her abdomen got fat after just one of those crickets
I would feed every 2-3 days but it's completely up to you. Just make sure you remove uneaten food within 24 hours. The more you feed, the faster their growth. If you want speedy growth also make sure to keep the little one at temperatures above 70 degrees.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Slings are supposed to be fed as much as they can eat because its wired in them to reach the adult stage as fast as possible.

There's no such thing as over feeding a sling because you can't force them to eat so they'll only eat until full.

And "power feeding" isn't a relative term for Tarantula keeping.

However, once they get to a juvenile size or bigger a lot of people cut back on the amount of food giving.
powerfeeding is leaving food in there 24/7. no one really does it but its a thing. if you read through my last post you'd notice that the problem i had with was how it was worded. you fixed it, no issue now.

tswizzzl

Arachnopeon
Okay that sounds good. Ill stick to every three days until i see her get to an inch? That sound okay? Shes in the terrestrial enclosure that came with my jamies tarantulas order and the humidity looks good in there. I spritz the enclosure every week or when it gets too dry

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i'd go at least 3 times a week. they use all that energy to grow. no need to hold back on food.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Okay that sounds good. Ill stick to every three days until i see her get to an inch? That sound okay? Shes in the terrestrial enclosure that came with my jamies tarantulas order and the humidity looks good in there. I spritz the enclosure every week or when it gets too dry
dont mist just add a small water dish and overflow it a few times a week. also, for the future, 16 oz deli cups and pill vials work just as well if not better than jamies overpriced cages.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
That seems excessive. I thought LP's were known for their fast growth?

This is what I thought too I've never had an LP grow that slow they definitely grow fast because they're garbage disposals like A. Geniculata.

He must keep his below a certain temp and feed the smallest amount possible

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
This is what I thought too I've never had an LP grow that slow they definitely grow fast because they're garbage disposals like A. Geniculata.

He must keep his below a certain temp and feed the smallest amount possible
my bad , just checked and i got it as a 1/2" in Jan 2015. so, pretty growers then. funny, dont remember it like that..

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
dont mist just add a small water dish and overflow it a few times a week. also, for the future, 16 oz deli cups and pill vials work just as well if not better than jamies overpriced cages.
I prefer the enclosures that are aesthetically pleasing even if they're more expensive.
I like my T area to look like I have a collection of pets, not condiments. :smug: