las vegas solpugid

bigtyler1025

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what kind of solpugids are found out here? I just caught one tonight, its body is about 3/4 of an inch long, and 1/4 of an inch wide. Colored similarly to a camel spider, I will try to post pictures tomorrow. Thanks for any help.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is one I saw yesterday. I live in No. AZ. They are fast little buggars! Mine was a good two inches long and about 1/2 inch wide.

Last edited:

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that is exactly what mine looks like! Does anyone know genus and species?
Identifying the genus and the species from that picture is pretty difficult. What i'm sure about is that its from the family Eremobatidae. Check the first pair of legs; if it has 1 tarsal claw then it belongs to the subfamily Eremobatinae, If it has two its from the subfamily Therobatinae.
From the picture, it looks definitely like a male. Male, as in all solifuges, have a more slender morphology. Contrarily to the rest of the solifuge families, males of the Eremobatidae dont possess a flagellum. In order to be sure about the sex in this family, check the upper chelicerae; if they dont have any additional tooth its a male. As for the genus, my personal guess is either Eremobates or Eremorhax (that belong to the subfamily Eremobatinae)
Hope this helped.

Last edited:

bigtyler1025

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that just really confused me. Haha its not your fault. Its just really hard for me to find much, if anything decent or relevant about solpigids online, so your terms just don't make sense to me. Haha