Larger species

AussieT

Arachnopeon
@Arachnomancer - 8" is a pretty conservative guess for the big members of the Phlogius group (Crassipes, Sarina, Eunice and Vulpina etc), as this is about the average for large adults. Phlogius Crassipes however can get alot larger - sometimes 9" (the population from the Kattibul locale). Phlogius Strennuus can also readily reach 9" and the absolute largest Aussie species - the Phlogius sp.Goliath has attained legspans up to 10" (a few dead specimens housed in museums, brought in before the species was recognised as a totally different spider to Phlogius Crassipes) on a few occassions. However you should bear in mind that they have only been in the hobby for 1-2 years now since their re-discovery and 8-9" is becoming quite common for young adults, so once we have established 'old' specimens then we could give a definite maximum legspan, though what we have now are still growing! ;) However I am unsure of any suppliers of Phlogius sp.Goliath or Strennuus in the overseas trades, Phlogius Crassipes and Selenotypus Plumipes may be the largest members of the Aussie T's you guys can currently obtain until the Goliath and Strennuus are shipped over.

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
AussieT, do you have pictures of these Phlogius sp. 8 and 9 inch spiders with something to compare the spiders with?? I'm only curious :)

AussieT

Arachnopeon
Here is a 7"+ wild caught specimen of Phlogius sp.Sarina that Steve Nunn caught next to an Aussie 20 cent piece - the 20 cent piece measures 30mm.

And here is an 8"+ specimen of Phlogius Crassipes being handled by Greg Bylund who owns the Green Scorpion website

Unfortunately the best pictures were those of Steve Nunn handling a large specimen of Phlogius Goliath however the website of the Australian Tarantula Association Forum of which this pic was on has since closed down and the only site left is the Green Scorpoion for Australian tarantula information. There are a few pictures of 8" specimens that memebrs have posted on there that you can check out if your curious.

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank you for sharing the pics! The first spider is really stunning!! Beautiful species! :)

mitchrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
pokies get pretty big...

this is the biggest MM ive personally had, ive seen a female p.rufilata that makes it looks small though!

as far as terrestrial sp's i always thougth pamphos were particularly big. i have an antinous thats the same legspan as my xenesthis, but much more heavy bodied. l.klugii is also a pretty big spider.