Large New World Terrestrial Species?

KingBowser

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You just made the statement that L. klugii was larger than theraphosa. The article you brought up doesn't even back up your statement. There is a difference between a "claim" and recorded data. I could say I caught a 30 lb. largemouth bass in my pond without any kind of evidence. I could also go on Wikipedia and say that there is a purple form of giraffe that roams the southern plains of the Serengeti.

Last edited:

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Out dated material

Ok my bad !

I found the book : The record WAS 11.25 Inches from a l. Klugi back in 1977. I didn't realise my reference was over 30 years old !

At 13 inches the T Blondi is the the winner.

I should change the book title to : Book of " OLD " lists.

Sorry folks.

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
According to this documentary, a much larger tarantula was found back in the 50's, but the specimen was unfortunately lost in a fire.

[YOUTUBE]dpQPvNjOthE[/YOUTUBE]

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Of course this is on the internet, so we know its a valid source:cool:.

-Sean

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Umm thanks guys o_O

I'm still having a hard time deciding on the right sp.

Any other opinions on the Pamphobeteus or Xenesthis sp.?

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i don,t have any Pamphobeteous but they are definitely on my list of needed species from what i,ve read i thought they might be a little a more skittish do you find this to be the case at all thanks chris..

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
if you're looking for colour i wouldn't recommend parahybana
I disagree, Lasiodora parahybana (not lasiodara, in case the OP was trying to google the typo :) ) is a very pretty one. It's not gaudy or brilliant, but look at this pic: sleek black with pretty pink hairs. http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/showimage.php?i=2766&c=37

I have one at almost 2" and also a G. aureostriata at about the same. They're both awesome. The parahybana likes it slightly damp, I usually flood part of the substrate once or twice a week and almost immediately it starts to loiter around the wet places. It burrowed when it was very tiny, but grew out of it. It DID dig a burrow in its new enclosure after a while, but rarely uses it unless I scare it while opening the critter keeper.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
According to this documentary, a much larger tarantula was found back in the 50's, but the specimen was unfortunately lost in a fire.

[YOUTUBE]dpQPvNjOthE[/YOUTUBE]
ROTFLOL
they should be glad that didnt happen to a scolopendrid lol