Landscape photography

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Sabino Canyon shots from the ATS Conference picnic.

Monsoons make interesting picnics. ;)

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Sandstone Cliffs - Solana Beach, California

Oceanside, California Sunset

One with the girlfriend

Oceanside Pier long exposure

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You picked, aside from Hawaii and La Jolla/SD area, the best place to get sunset photos. Sunsets are terrible in LA compared to that region of the USA.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Just eye candy.
Some years ago I met up with my sister at her stomping grounds. We were both pretty desperate to get the heck away from it all so we shouldered back packs and headed for the high country. We made it up to one of her favorite places by a lake where we camped for a week.

A few months back I came across this photograph. Not mine, done by a professional photographer I suspect. It was taken at the exact place where we camped at the exact same time of year.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
From our trip to Joshua Tree National Park last week.

Our campsite.

Sunset

The Snark

Old Timer
@advan Straight out of the textbook. 1/3-2/3 rule, horizon parallel to the edge of the picture, foreground so the viewer isn't floating in the air, centered distant objects of interest, object in the foreground to break the monotony, all objects in focus. I got confused in the book about hue and contrast and how to draw the viewer into the picture. Am I missing anything?
Cynically speaking, an expose of proper composition the average selfie screws up.
(I'm a hopelessly bad photographer still going by the book)

Last edited:

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Stayed up near the Sax Zim Bog hoping to locate some Great Grey Owls last weekend. No luck finding any owls but did get some Aurora Friday night.

The Snark

Old Timer
No luck finding any owls but did get some Aurora Friday night.
Did that get colorized in some way? I've seen near purple, sort of violet, a couple of times. It's pretty rare. Mostly I've seen green.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Did that get colorized in some way? I've seen near purple, sort of violet, a couple of times. It's pretty rare. Mostly I've seen green.
Nope, these are close to Raw files, just some minor tweaks in post. The first time I saw them 20 years ago along the North shore of Lake Superior they were dancing reds above me. It was a incredible experience. One I have not seen with the naked eye since. These you could make out the hue and some of the pillars but nothing like what the camera can see with a long exposure. -Chad